growing through fabric

• 16 Replies

Green Goddess

growing through fabric
« on: June 17, 2009, 19:31 »
I am very new to this but there must be a reason why I shouldn't grow everything through fabric right?  It does seem an easier way of avoiding constant weeding but I must be missing something otherwise why doesn't everybody do it? 

SG6

Re: growing through fabric
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 19:47 »
I would say that it is because you have to lift and dig the ground at some time. So up comes the fabric.

Also what is planted at a position will alter so new fabric and holes required. How would you sow a row of carrots in fabric?

Also there is more then weeds to think of, people here would appear to be having problems with cabbage root fly. If the eggs of these are laid around the base of a brassica and get in then fabric traps them there.

I add pelleted chicken poo  :tongue2: at regular intervals, when I happen to bump into the tub, fabric would kind of upset this.

Also I suspect that rain and air have some effect on the soil and preventing this combination may have an unwanted effect (No idea what however).

Also the robin wouldn't be able to collect the little bugs that I turn up when raking, hoeing and digging.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 20:17 »
All excellent points

One other which occurs to me is that weeds can still grow through the hole in the fabric, so it doesn't completely prevent them - better to get them out first if possible.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ropster

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 20:41 »
I am growing my brasiccas and strawberrys through fabrick as weading between them is a pain under netting, everything else gets a hoeing now and then

diggerjoe

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 21:50 »
Grew my sweetcorm last year through fabric and it was a great success- this year a well dug bed covered with a good couple of inches well rotted manure, then fabric then 40 sweetcorn planted through slits - they are going great excpet where the wildlife took a fancy to 4 of them - replacement going in this weekend for them - at the end of season I save the fabric double it up and use it on the pumkin beds for next time - I only use the cheap stuff from poundland but it lasts me two seasons. Going to give strawberries a go like this next year. :)

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 23:02 »
I'm growing my sweetcorn through fabric, the sweetcorn are doing fine, the normal weeds are non existent underneath (I have little peeks now and then). However the bindweed is raising the suppressant fabric off the ground so I weigh it down with bricks,  it does look anaemic though.
   Another thing, this fabric was quite pricey compared to the Poundland stuff (it's the one with green lines through it), where I've cut holes, the thing is fraying and gets tangled in all sorts of things. Just to let you know. I think I'll stick to the Poundland stuff in future and double it over as Diggerjoe says.

lacewing

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 23:44 »
Growing through fabric is brilliant if you have to put up cages to prevent birds eating the crop. No crawling under to weed and the crop can be left to do it's own thing until harvest time..... Magic!!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

canwickplot

• Biffasblog
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 06:56 »
Make sure the fabric that you use completely blocks the light out. The stuff I used on my brassicas last year didn't and I had to remove it eventually to get to all the weeds that had been growing underneath.

Seems to me that there are other ways to deal with the problem you mentioned. Have you thought about laying down newspaper with grass cuttings on top? That should have the same mulch effect and it'll break down into your soil. If you do this, however, don't forget to add a carbon-heavy soil improver or manure over the winter because the grass will likely make your soil a bit thicker and heavier.
俺、野菜畑大好き!!

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 07:00 »
Works well for the bigger stuff which is wider spaced

I have beds of the same size so fabric cut for squash or sweetcorn can be used again the following year on another bed

The woven stuff allows air and water through so shouldn't affect soil too much

As for still having to weed around the plants !!!! ??  - If you cut a cross to plant through then fold the fabric back around the plant there is very little space left - maybe 2% of whole area?

Use it where you can unless you have unlimited time
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

crowndale

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 07:59 »
I have planted squash through weed fabric this year but only because they are on the one area I wanted to plant in that I have not yet been able to dig over and it was very weedy already!  as it was also very compacted I knew I'd not be able to get the weeds out.  so I cut the holes, loosened the soil and filled the holes with (bought, oh the shame  :ohmy:) manure and planted the squashes in the holes.  looking good so far.  only hope they produce the required squashes now!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 10:10 »
If I get this right - fabric is great where you're planting stuff individually but no good when you want to sow  a row of peas, carrots or whatever.
trying to be green except when blue

Ropster

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 11:35 »
If I get this right - fabric is great where you're planting stuff individually but no good when you want to sow  a row of peas, carrots or whatever.

spot on

diggerjoe

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 11:43 »
crowndale I did that with an area I hadnt dug last year I put a layer of compost and fabric on and planted squash and pumpkins. Left the fabric on till spring and it dug over really well and i used the area for some of this years spuds saved a loy of backache :D

Green Goddess

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 15:30 »
thanks guys what a varied selection of replies.  I have only so far used fabric for dwarf beans, but wish I had for my cabbages as I can't keep on top of the weeds.  Think it will be a combination of both for future crops.  Thank you all again

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 15:34 »
I get on quite well with a hoe.

Saved a packet on fabric.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Growing onions through landscaping fabric

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 14:16
by JohnB47
xx
Growing onions through weed suppressant fabric

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 19:03
by realfood
xx
Growing potatoes under black weed control fabric

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 03, 2014, 09:02
by BabbyAnn
xx
Plant through fabric?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 17, 2011, 15:36
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 36 queries.