Book Recommendations

• 10 Replies

Milly

• Experienced Member
Book Recommendations
« on: October 16, 2013, 14:08 »
I'm still in the preperation stage of getting chooks next year and whan I read the forum I make notes of advice that I think I might need to recall in the future, the old brown matter is not as good as it was.

Winterval is not far away and I've been asked what I would like and one of the things I'd really like is a good book on chicken keeping, something I can pick up and easially find the information I need. Like most subjects I suspect some books are better than others, and rather than make any costly mistakes I was hoping someone could reccommend a good all round book that they've found helpful.

Thankyou in anticipation  :D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 21:15 by DD. »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Book Reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 15:32 »
I think lots of members including me have read "Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry" here is a LINK, or "Starting with Chickens, A Beginners Guide" by Katie Thear (I have the quail one which is really good).   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Neelam

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 19:28 »
I can recommend this book, too, just read it, so everything is fresh on mind and it was really helpful and contained almost every question I could think of to get started.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 13:05 »
"Chicken keeping for Dummies" is quite an informative read, although no colour pictures.  Also has a first aid section in it.  I've found the best help and information on here, but it is nice to have a few books to read through.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:56 »
The Katie Thear book is great enough information without blinding you with sccience and a great price :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 13:16 »
Many thanks, I'll look them up on Amazon.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 21:03 »
Haynes chicken manual,lots of good info(yes it is the same people that do the car manuals)  :) :)
Pull up a perch!!

Milly

• Experienced Member
Re: Book Recommendations
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 17:46 »
Thankyou, I'll look that up. I bought the John Harrison book but I'll look the Haynes one up.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 08:25 »
I've got a few books but then realised I need one about my particular breed.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Stewart P

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 00:26 »
As a new allotmenteer (since April this year) and a new chicken keeper (since Saturday), I think there is little to gain from books that is not already out there on the wealth of websites (including this one) on both subjects.  Therefore my advice is research on the web for free.  Spend time researching useful websites rather than spend money on heavy hardcopy that needs bookshelf space to store.

Many will disagree, including my partner (honey65), but the perfect book is hard to come by and a book will not answer the off-the-wall questions that a bulletin board of experienced enthusiasts can.

Thats just my view

Happy hunting

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 09:05 »
I agree with you for off-the-wall questions but a book such as Katie Thears is small and reasonably priced (will not take up much room on your bookshelf) and is indispensable when starting out. It is much quicker to leaf through a book to check/look something up especially when you start to know your way around the book.
Much of the detail is also hard to get from the internet - how do you know when it is missing? It is more likely to be there in a properly researched book. How often have you needed to go back and look again at something that you Googled and could not find it? Just my opinion of course ;)

Good luck with the new chooks :)

xx
BOOK

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 16:53
by Madrat
xx
Book recommendation for beginner?

Started by fatbelly on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 17:55
by 22fox
xx
Keeping Turkeys? New book available

Started by John on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 00:40
by John
xx
Wants to obtain an informative book

Started by Rupert Bear on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 21:55
by Rupert Bear

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 36 queries.