Ph levels

• 3 Replies

captainhastings

Ph levels
« on: October 12, 2013, 19:05 »
I decided to get a tester as rumour has it my new plot hasn't had much attention for years. My crops have been ok but my friend next door has huge crops this year. His cauli are the size of foot balls compared to my tennis balls. Also we both planted cabbage from the same batch of seedlings and even though mine were a decent size his were 3 to 4 times the size and this applies to all his crops.
So I tested my soil and it 7.5 so I tested his soil and that was 7.5.
So I am bit puzzled I did think maybe the tester was lying so I plonked it in my compost heap and that show 4. so i assume it works ok.
His soil has had plenty of manure mine has had non for years. He also adds lime around the Brassica when planted but going by that reading there is no need and the ph level needs to come down ?
I know there is more too it than soil and knowing what you are doing helps :)

Trillium

Re: Ph levels
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 19:59 »
Since your soil has had no attention for years, the nutrient level is way down low so it's not really fair to you to make comparisons. Sounds like your neighbour lavishes attention to his soil and plants. Eventually, your soil will reach a similar rich level and then you can do fair comparisons  ;)  The key word will be time.

captainhastings

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 20:18 »
Since your soil has had no attention for years, the nutrient level is way down low so it's not really fair to you to make comparisons. Sounds like your neighbour lavishes attention to his soil and plants. Eventually, your soil will reach a similar rich level and then you can do fair comparisons  ;)  The key word will be time.

Ok thank you I am in it for the long haul so time I have plenty of hopefully :)
So nutrients as in manure and compost to get some goodness in ?

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 21:56 »
If you tested it with one of those probe things you will have no real idea of the true pH as they are notoriously unreliable. A chemical test is the only way to get an accurate reading. A bit more hassle but if you're going to do it you might as well do it right.

xx
NPK levels

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 22:59
by Robster
xx
Garlic and PH levels

Started by pol and mick on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 21, 2009, 17:53
by Stripey_cat
xx
New veg plot and ph levels

Started by DavidP on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 19:03
by DavidP
xx
Very low light levels this year!

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 22:09
by Jome

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 35 queries.