soil improvement

• 3 Replies

the goodlife

soil improvement
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:17 »
Hello peeps,

Ok my new lottie is giving me headaches!! I have had an allotment for 30+ years now and I still ask for advise, My new lottie has been laid as waste ground for approx. 15 years before the council got them back In use this is our 2nd year and with the hot summer the soil has been baked, and with me working away the weeds took over (jungle style) aswell.

The soild is a heavy loam/clay subsoil , I want to loosen the soil up so it don't clump and I,m not sure what todo? I know it will take a while , I was thinking of lots of horse dodo wi sawdust and a course sand and ive also managed to bag 2 pallets of compost for free (the joys of a lorry driver) any advise or suggestions are most welcome. Also anyone on here could loan a rotovator for the day I would much appreciate, carcroft, Doncaster area, Many thanks peeps

Kleftiwallah

Re: soil improvement
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 10:22 »

'Oss muck' !  Tons and tons of it, or possibly spent mushroom compost are the two things that will open up your soil,  I have no doupt that if your allotment was 'rough pasture' you may have trouble with wireworms in your spuds for a few years.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 10:36 »
I agree - no substitute for lots of organic matter.  Not too sure about the sawdust addition as that will take longer to rot down, but if it's a choice between manure with it, or no manure without it, I'd probably take it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 15:40 »
I have clay soil as well and it took quite a few years to get it to even halfway decent. But the best solution I found was to use the Back to Eden method of spreading some manure first then applying a thick layer of wood chips as mulch. It works twofold: it keeps weeds from sprouting and soil moist, and the woodchips quickly break down into compost. You apply more chips over the years and quickly build up extra inches of lovely topsoil.

The chap in the film even did this method over a rock pile to see if it works, and it did. Maybe this is the answer for you.   

VIDEO

xx
soil improvement

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 19:08
by upert
clip
Allotment Soil Improvement (Fresh Horse Manure)

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 23, 2021, 17:24
by Subversive_plot
xx
clay soil improvement - Scots pine neeedles?

Started by ralphyboy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 12:11
by TheSpartacat
xx
Soil PH !!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 07:19
by fatbelly

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 28 queries.