Help for next years corn

• 28 Replies

chillimummy

Re: Help for next years corn
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 13:18 »
Sorry JayG
Need to work out how to download pictures!
Picked more corn and kernels are filling out more so hanging on bit longer before picking rest of corn to freeze.

(Edited to remove duplicated text and spaces.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 14:11 by JayG »
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 14:10 »
Have you read this thread about how to post pictures Chillimummy?

(If you have and are still struggling, if you send me a PM I'll do my best to help you.  :))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

RobRob

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 14:51 »
I've just realised I all the silks had gone. I guessed this was normal as it was my first time growing corn. I am pretty sure the silks should stay on shouldn't they? And reason they disappeared?

Headgardener22

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 15:22 »
RobRob,

In response to your question:

Grow from seed, not plants, they are simple to grow and don't take up a lot of space. For the first time this year I chitted the seeds (it only took a couple of days) before transplanting them to 7cm pots at the beginning of April to grow on. I planted the first lot out at the beginning of May, 18 inches apart in all directions in a block.

I've seen it suggested that one should put them under clear plastic bottles to protect them from the cold (I didn't do that this year but it sounds like a good idea).

I also "succession sowed" planting four separate blocks two weeks apart to give a succession of cobs but also to look for the "sweet planting time". Past experience seems to show that there is a limited "perfect window" when sweetcorn gets away strongly. Before that the plants struggle and after that they don't seem to ripen as well, but when that window is varies from season to season.

I grew Golden Hind from Moles seeds this year. Seeds are inexpensive, and I averaged 1.25 cobs per plant.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 10:25 »
I've tried to grow sweetcorn and failed miserable... they got to 18" tall last year then stopped completely  :( It must be the lovely Scottish weather. Has anyone ever grown in a greenhouse - does it work? And if it does, any special considerations?
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 10:37 »
Has anyone ever grown in a greenhouse - does it work? And if it does, any special considerations?
I grow in a greenhouse (to get an early crop). They are grown in the greenhouse borders, so same as outside really.  No wind for pollination so I hand pollinate.  Shaking the plant releases a cloud of pollen, and I then "steer" the canes as the pollen descends to manoeuvre the silks into the firing line :) to catch as much as possible.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 11:08 »
Thanks Kristen,

Unfortunately I am 'borderless' in the greenhouse. Would grow bags or large pots be ok?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 11:53 »
Sorry, don't know. They root a lot near the surface, so might be OK for bags.  probably only going to get 1 cob per plant, 1.5 at best I would think, so dunno if the cost-benefit will be very good??  :(

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 22:12 »
didnt grow corn this year but my neighbour did was watching ( and be trying myself ) what he did first he grew them in loo rolls used a hole thingy for potatoes and dropped them in loo roll and seedling about a foot apart they all grew to about six foot with multiple cobs on each one he was always shaking them then they were to scared not to grow  :wacko:

gobs

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 22:38 »
I've tried to grow sweetcorn and failed miserable... they got to 18" tall last year then stopped completely  :( It must be the lovely Scottish weather. Has anyone ever grown in a greenhouse - does it work? And if it does, any special considerations?

That's how tall they grow. Grow for early, fast maturing varieties. Yes, you can grow in the gh, several I know of who do, however, you will need space. At least a foot between plants too get a crop.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 22:56 »

That's how tall they grow. .

Thats how tall they grow?? Gobs yours must be mini mini corn!! Sweetcorn grow up to 8'-10'..
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 22:57 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

gobs

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 23:06 »

That's how tall they grow. .

Thats how tall they grow?? Gobs yours must be mini mini corn!! Sweetcorn grow up to 8'-10'..

Well pointed out, I got me imperials wrong. The person is talking inches, I took it for feet or something like that.

Sorry. 6-10 feet, indeed, nearing or around 2 metres, that's what I meant, the information was wrongly computed. Thanks for correcting it.

gobs

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 23:11 »
In the light of that, it's not mini corn even. 2 feet is it, or what is it in real money? No, I was more careful now, it's 45 cm by the conversion charts, meaning: no plant.

I still have no better advise though.

Totty

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2013, 08:38 »
First of all, I sow about a third too many seeds. This allows me to have extra to choose from when planting out. The more uniform the plants are when planted out, the more likely they are to be at the same stage when pollinating, which helps.
Also I like to have reasonably big plants to put out, decent little strong stems on them as opposed to smaller weaker plants. I find that sowing into 3 inch pots, then potting on to 5 inchers is the only way to get them that bit bigger.

Lots has been written about corn not liking root disturbance, and therefore using loo rolls to sow in and plant straight out. The problem with that is that they need planting out when the roots come out of the bottom, even if the weather is not right or the plants are still small.
If in pots and the roots start coming through the bottom, I just tip the plant out, and put it back in which tidys the roots back into the pot again. So long as the roots are not damaged they will grow away strongly when planted out.

Earthing the stems up a couple of times in the season helps too. The corn will root strongly from the base of the stem, meaning more nutrient uptake and plants that are much more anchored in windy conditions.
As they are reasonably shallow rooted, the patch should be fairly rich, with plenty of organic matter forked into the top layers.
You can also plant squashes and pumpkins nearby to grow through the corn blocks. The stems of the squashes will grow through the corn patch and shade the shallow roots, minimising water loss, and you will get a crop of squashes or pumpkins from it too.

Totty

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
Next years tom's.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2022, 17:13
by New shoot
xx
It's only taken 14 years...

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 10:35
by surbie100
xx
If this was 200 years ago!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 13:24
by LivvyW

Page created in 3.214 seconds with 30 queries.