Cucumbers growing weird

• 4 Replies

Eblana

Cucumbers growing weird
« on: September 29, 2013, 20:10 »
I have been growing cucumbers for the past three years with great success. This year something has gone wrong on me and I was wondering if anyone has any idea what has happened.  They are all really fat and misshapen. The mini ones are all pear shaped I.e very fat at the bottom and skinnier at the top they aren't very mini either. The long ones are also getting fatter and fatter nearly round before they start putting on any length they keep the width and then get longer they look like a nuclear war head.  They taste ok but I have never seen anything this size. A single slice would make a sandwich. Can't think of the varieties but they are the same as last year which were normal

gobs

Re: Cucumbers growing weird
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:54 »
Hormonal herbicide damage for example? It can come from manure, compost, straw, etc., it  does not need to be spray drift, especially, if mild damage. Tomatoes and cucumbers are very sensitive to this. Malformation (enlargement of fruit as in nuclear explosion; twinned/doubled tomatoes, etc.) is a common symptom. It usually comes with some malformation of foliage too, though.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 18:10 »
Are the leaves as you would expect?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 20:41 »
They are in the PT the toms which are in there with them are fine. The leaves are normal, I did mulch the bed with straw which I haven't done before and didn't do on the toms bed.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 20:50 »
Some might, but I personally, have no other ideas right now. Especially, if they otherwise seem fine, some genetic disorder of sorts, maybe.

xx
Growing cucumbers

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 11:12
by muntjac
xx
Growing cucumbers

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 20:19
by lovemyveg
clip
NEW TO GROWING CUCUMBERS

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 07:39
by cadalot
xx
growing cucumbers

Started by jessicajake on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 21:37
by Kristen

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 28 queries.