What a dip why do i bother skimming

• 17 Replies

Beetroot Queen

What a dip why do i bother skimming
« on: September 29, 2013, 07:35 »
I had a fair bit if scum on my crab apple jelly which just would not completely go away. The first three jars i am very unhappy with but they will taste fine.

The second and third batch i decided no more skimming i was just going to pour mix through a nylon sieve before potting. Why oh why have i not done this before, crystal clear jelly and no scum. Did everyone else know this and have i just been missing the trick.  ::)

These crab apples just needed using, why dont people pick more free food. And i dont mean off my plot i mean out of the hedgerows.

Eblana

Re: What a dip why do i bother skimming
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 08:38 »
Thanks for the tip BQ. I will try this next year with my strawberry jam which drove me mad this year trying to take the scum off it.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:49 »
Not sure it will work for lumpy jam but a clear lump free jelly works great. Not sure why i didnt do it before. Keep holding the jars up to the light to see the other side. Very satisfying. :lol:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:31 »
Do you try the lump of butter trick to try and get rid of most of the scum?
Small lump of butter added to the bubbling pan gets clears a lot of it.

What would I do without Mrs Beeton ::)?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 11:39 »

The scum scimmed off the jam was 'Me Mam's ' special reward for jam making.  She used to sit at the back kitchen door looking out at the world and tucking in.  Memories. . . ::)

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

tillyt

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 12:21 »
What a great tip BQ, I am going to pick some more crabs next week if possible so will try your method. It is really nice to see a lovely clear jelly through the jar!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 12:53 »
Devon, we are butter less in this house because of florence, i try her on the jellies and she cant have butter

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 15:52 »
If you are looking for a way to use up crabapples have you looked at verjus?

I have a massive tree which must have a minimum of 50kg on it although they are not quite ready yet. I also cannot stand leaving things to go to waste and last year most of them just rotted on the ground as we had only just moved in and didn't have time to do anything with them. Now much as I hate waste there is a limit to how much crabapple jelly anyone can eat. Will make some pectin stock and freeze that too and pickled crab apples and jellies flavoured with lavender or chilli or rosemary but that will still leave kilos and kilos and then I came across verjus.

It was originally made with unripe grapes from the thinnings at vineyards but is also made with crabapples. It is basically just the tart juice preserved with a little vodka and can be used in the place of vinegar or lemon juice in recipes and dressing and the like. Meant to be due to become the new trendy ingredient if you believe all you read on the internet! ;) And best of all you need about 10kg to make 1.5 litres! Sounds great to me so will definitely be trying it this year. :)
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 18:25 »
I had a fair bit if scum on my crab apple jelly which just would not completely go away. The first three jars i am very unhappy with but they will taste fine.

The second and third batch i decided no more skimming i was just going to pour mix through a nylon sieve before potting. Why oh why have i not done this before, crystal clear jelly and no scum. Did everyone else know this and have i just been missing the trick.  ::)

These crab apples just needed using, why dont people pick more free food. And i dont mean off my plot i mean out of the hedgerows.
I wish I had known about this and the butter thing last night when I made elderberry jelly! :(
Anne

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 18:31 »
I was doing an apple jelly this afternoon, got down to sugar point and found 30 or so raspberries in the fridge, in they went and just before potting stage i ran it through the sieve, took out any scum ( hardly any) plus seeds, result anther dark but clear jelly. I have even bowled up the sieve contents as hubby said he'd have that later on toast. Waste not, want not  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 19:59 »
My mum has used the butter trick for many years but I don't care for it as I can always taste butter in her jams.

Next year, instead of skimming, I'll try the nylon strainer idea.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 20:06 »
My mum has used the butter trick for many years but I don't care for it as I can always taste butter in her jams.

Next year, instead of skimming, I'll try the nylon strainer idea.

NEXT year lol dont you mean next week lol cant keep away from jam and jelly for that long  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 20:10 »
No, I mean next year - I've got so much jam and jelly bottled that I'm sure we have enough for 4 more years.

Right now I'm busy with tomatoes, kale, chard, peppers and beans   :D

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 20:13 »
No, I mean next year - I've got so much jam and jelly bottled that I'm sure we have enough for 4 more years.

Right now I'm busy with tomatoes, kale, chard, peppers and beans   :D

I keep saying we can never have enough. I am brainwashing myself, everyone else goes " yeah right"  ::) i must put away the jam pan. I must put away the jam pan.

Can you not hear the berries calling you to be jammed, they want to be in a pretty jar on display

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 20:15 »
No berries right now other than a handful of blackberries. The fall raspberries are still 2 weeks away from being ripe and they'll turn into juice in my new juicer/steamer. The freezer is already stuffed with frozen raspberries.

xx
Skimming jam... what to use?

Started by Casey76 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 21:32
by Poolfield2
xx
Question about skimming jam

Started by littlelisa on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 08, 2010, 17:52
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Skimming off sugar scum

Started by hamstergbert on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 15:55
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 37 queries.