Cooked beetroot gone black!

• 2 Replies

madcat

Cooked beetroot gone black!
« on: September 21, 2013, 16:58 »
I roasted the last of the golden beetroot on Tuesday night and peeled them on wednesday morning, cutting them into wedges.  I sealed them into an airtight lunch box, intending to use them as a veg on Thurs but life intervened.  So this lunchtime I pulled them out, intending to make a pasta salad with them - very pretty I thought - for lunch.  Only when I opened up the box they had gone black.  Completely black, right thorough.   :ohmy:  such a waste!!   :(

What had I done wrong?  I didn't think that they oxidised on contact with air after they have been cooked.  Any guesses?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Trillium

Re: Cooked beetroot gone black!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 21:35 »
You didn't do anything wrong and believe it or not this is a common problem with golden beetroot.

There are theories that it's because there is manganese in the soil, but it's curious how everyone who's had this problem has peeled them and stored them in poly containers. I suspect that is the culprit - poly, too tight a seal, no air whatsoever.

Next time, try leaving them in their skins when you put them in a glass/ceramic container with polyfilm cover. I have special covers that look like shower caps that fit over bowls and that keeps the contents clean but lets in a bit of air. See if this helps.

madcat

Re: Cooked beetroot gone black!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 08:46 »
Wow!  thank you.  I dont feel so much of an idiot now ....  (I peeled them when I had the time - fiddly job and thursday I expected to be in a rush).  Right - glass, ceramic = pyrex in my case I expect, and a loose lid.  I can do that.

xx
anyone cooked achocha?

Started by chimaera on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 00:09
by TheSpartacat
xx
cooked vegetables

Started by rodd on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 18:31
by Yorkie
xx
Cooked Apple

Started by Eblana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2015, 13:36
by GrannieAnnie
question
Can you freeze cooked quiche?

Started by devonbarmygardener on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post July 14, 2014, 23:05
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 30 queries.