Plums on dwarf root stock?

• 11 Replies

Amilo

• Experienced Member
Plums on dwarf root stock?
« on: September 14, 2013, 16:40 »
Has anyone got experience with a plum grafted onto a dwarf rootstock such as M27 or M9, I am looking to buy some for this winter.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
Re: Plums on dwarf root stock?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 19:34 »
I have planted two plum trees (opal and victoria) this year back in April out on the allotment that is on dwarf rootstocks, no fruit on them this year, but they're still alive so that must be a good sign lol.  I did plant a conference pear on dwarf rootstock Nov 2011, and i'm just starting to pick some lovely pears. 
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 19:51 »
I,ve got pears,plums,cherries and apples all on a dwarf root stock .

I got them on offer from garden bargains three years ago.

I have had loads of apples,and cherries but not as many plums and pears.

They are about eight foot tall and easy to harvest from.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 19:54 »
I got mine from GB too, 3 out the 5 trees died in the first year though, hence me planting more trees this year.  Nice to know someone had success with them, gives me hope  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 02:20 »
I have Opal on dwarfing stock, from nursery, few years old, it gave us a crateful (about 20 kg) this year. Very early this Swedish variety is too, all processed and done with and good flavour, too.

Go for anything you fancy, of course, just take into account if you want to grow in pots, performance and yield will be less. This is in the ground.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 06:47 »
M27 and M9 are apple rootstocks  ;)  All the trees we get in at work (garden centre) are either on Pixy rootstock or St. Julian A.  Pixy gives the smaller tree  :)

I haven't grown one myself, but I have visited our fruit supplier and seem mature trees planted up there.  They were full of fruit but they are quite round headed trees (if that makes sense), so you would need to give them a bit of room :)

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 12:45 »
I bought an Opal from Lidl 4 years and assumed it was on a dwarfing rootstock, but I don't think it is ::)' probably St Julian A. It's about 15 feet tall now and finally got 5 plums this year :D Hoping it's got the idea now and looking forward to a decent crop next year.

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 17:42 »
M27 and M9 are apple rootstocks  ;)  All the trees we get in at work (garden centre) are either on Pixy rootstock or St. Julian A.  Pixy gives the smaller tree  :)

I haven't grown one myself, but I have visited our fruit supplier and seem mature trees planted up there.  They were full of fruit but they are quite round headed trees (if that makes sense), so you would need to give them a bit of room :)

The size of the tree is important, I want to grow them as a cordon or better still a espalier, that's why I was asking about M27, it being just about the most dwarf root stock there is. Pixy is just a little to big for my plans.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 18:58 »
The size of the tree is important, I want to grow them as a cordon or better still a espalier, that's why I was asking about M27, it being just about the most dwarf root stock there is. Pixy is just a little to big for my plans.

I appreciate that, but M27 root stock will only ever be used on apples.  Pixy is the most dwarfing root stock you are likely to get a plum tree on.  More info here  :)

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=359

The RHS link says Pixy should be fine for a cordon  :)

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 19:04 »
There is not the range of rootstocks for plums as there is for apples.
For plums you basically have Brompton, St Julian A and Pixy, Pixy being classed as semi-dwarfing.
There is no equivalent to the apple rootstocks M27 or M9 that is available for plums.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 19:09 »
I have a Czar on St Julian rootstock and it is very healthy. I keep it pruned to an 'open goblet' shape back down to about 2.5m in height every year. Flowers well

The greengage on Pixy (glad it is the one for a cordon) is only about 1m tall so far and not yet flowered. Got this last Autumn, so plenty of time yet  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 19:58 »
OK, thanks for the info, that's what I wanted to know, IE was M27 a possibility for plums. so I will have to try "pixy". the problem is; the trees have to go next to a wall with 1 meter deep foundations and the wall is only 2 meters above the ground level. Thanks all.

xx
Dwarf Rooting Stock for Plums etc.

Started by cheshirecheese on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 09:36
by cheshirecheese
question
Root stock

Started by Bobble_off on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2018, 13:42
by Bobble_off
xx
Root stock?

Started by A. Fallowfield on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 08:53
by Swing Swang
xx
Root stock propagation.

Started by WeavingGryphon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 31, 2020, 08:29
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 30 queries.