Moulting & aggressive?

• 4 Replies

helens-hens

Moulting & aggressive?
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:26 »
My Welsummer hen who is about 11 months old went off lay about 2 weeks ago and started moulting about a week ago (which probably explains being off lay!).

Though she is the largest girl, she has always been a very nervous hen and bottom of the pecking order not that the other 2 are ever aggressive towards her.

This last week she has started running aggressively up to Florence (a gentle, small brown ranger and who is top of the pecking order) looking as though she is trying to be dominant. So far Florence has generally ignored her and there has just been the odd peck between them. This morning however I turned around to find the Welsummer had actually jumped on top of Florence., again I assume trying to show dominance. This only seems to happen when they are out free ranging.

I was wondering if anybody else noticed hens acting like this in the moult or perhaps it is just a coincidence. Its not happening that often so far but whatever it is, it is starting to worry me. All hens appear to be fit and healthy in all other respects.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Helen

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Moulting & aggressive?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 12:59 »
She may just be felling more confident, they are pullets until around 12 months old and then hens after that.  The dominance may just be to do with her maturing. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 13:15 »
Thanks Anhbuc, I must admit once they start laying I tend to think of them as hens which of course they're not as they still maturing.

It is only 2 weeks ago that Florence still had to encourage her out of the run when I let them out in the morning as she was too nervous. I have noticed that she has stopped doing that this last week.

I'll have to wait and see how it all pans out  ::)

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 13:17 »
Hens are generally lethargic when moulting especially during a heavy moult.
One can only imagine what it feels like to grow a new set of feathers (a new beard is bad enough) and it may be a case of over compensating to keep her place in the pecking order. :)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 16:12 »
Hates growing new beard so never shaves it  :D
I cook therefore I grow

xx
Aggressive hen

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 10, 2015, 21:54
by Beekissed
xx
very aggressive hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 20:16
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
aggressive hen

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 14:00
by evie2
xx
Aggressive cockerel

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 09:50
by Sassy

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 28 queries.