Hello from Nottingham

• 30 Replies

shelley77

• If it ain"t hard work,then it ain"t worth doing
Re: Hello from Nottingham
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 10:16 »
Thank you all for your great informative advice.I have a heck of a lot to learn.I know I'm extremely lucky after browsing this forum to have landed a instant allotment of that size with good soil and it has hardly any shade.Plus it takes me less than 5 minutes to walk there.THE GODS MUST HAVE BEEN SMILING ON ME THAT DAY.

I was a little nervous about joining a forum as I don't do facebook or any of the other social networking stuff.But you have all been so friendly and helpful ...I really appreciate it.

I don't have transport a the moment (test in 3 weeks)so I was wondering has anyone ordered online and can they recommend any websites

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 17:22 »
I don't do any if the social networking either. But it's nice here :D

BabbyAnn

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 17:23 »
What sort of things were you thinking of ordering online Shelley?  I've been happy with the couple of tools I bought from Chillington Tools, and then there's Amazon or e-bay but do watch out for whether VAT has been added or not, and how much postage too which can make some purchases a bit more expensive.  If you want seeds - then everyone has their favourites for reliability of seed, variety and costs and it could be a very long list.  Johnsons seeds, Dobies, Suttons, Mr Fothergills, DT Brown, Thompson & Morgan, Kings Seeds, Moles Seeds, Premier Seeds Direct (on e-bay), The Organic Catalogue, Real Seeds are just some of the popular ones but there are many more - again, do check postage as some are free, some outrageous, and some only add postage for certain seeds like beans and peas or have a minimum spend.

Or you can call in somewhere like Wilkos in a few weeks time to pick up onion (overwintering type), shallot and garlic sets for planting, and from about January when the seed potatoes and spring planting bulbs are out followed by seeds - I've been happy with the ones I've got from there especially when growing vegetables for the first time, but when I wanted to try out different varieties, will often look at websites, including JBA seed potatoes (google for addresses)  For plants online, my experience is very limited but I've been happy with the strawberries and rhubarb crowns from Mr Fothergills although I'm sure many of the others are just as fine but I do tend to look out for when they are on special offer (or the occassional free postage)  ;)   Be prepared to come across a whole new range of vegetables you don't find in the supermarket, and if unsure, you only have to ask what others thought about them before buying.

Good luck with the test in 3 weeks time - hopefully you'll be a bit more mobile and be able to visit some garden centres as well  :D

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 18:54 »
I got some really good strawberry plants from lidl this year. Cheap as well.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 21:03 »
I do have both a FB account and a skype account but both are only used for family ! Re ordering on line ,I have only had 1 bad experience and got a refund from paypal in days  :) I do most if not all my shopping on line !
I cook therefore I grow

hamsterhead

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 13:55 »
Afternoon Shelley and welcome to this cosy little place.  Where in Nottingham is your plot, mine is Long Eaton and like you I took on the plot with very tall weeds, I'm talking about weeds poking through the roof of the  greenhouse!  I only got it last year and whilst I've only managed to dig half of it, so far this year I've had some good returns on crops I've planted.  Really the message is, take your time and don't try to rush things.  Most importantly make sure you have somewhere to brew up and sit down to relax between digging and weeding.
Built for comfort, not speed!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 14:03 »
I don't do any if the social networking either. But it's nice here :D
Nor do I!!!! You' right . It is nice here.....I'm glad I came.  :D

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 17:32 »
Hi how is your plot getting along - Im going to view some tomorrow at a new project recently started in the next village to me.  So hopefully will have a plot by the end of tomorrow.  All of the ones available are grass at present but having looked thro the fence other plots already in use look good and established and the 2 close to fence that look just occupied look nice soil so hears hoping.  Would love to hear how you are doing.

shelley77

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 07:44 »
 My plot is in Hucknall.I can actually see it from my bedroom window and its depressing me lol.

No in all honesty I cant wait to get up there and start digging.I keep drawing up these little plans of how I want it to be but I'm realistic.I have borrowed a petrol strimmer and I have split the plot into quarters and I'm concentrating on the top quarter 1st.If I can get that bit done by the end of Oct I'll be a  happy girl.

I'm going up with the camera later as the "gardeners diaries" on here seem like a good motivator :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 08:16 »
Splitting it up and doing a manageable bit at a time is a good idea. If it rains plenty tomorrow it will be easier to dig on Saturday as it is probably very dry just now.

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 08:56 »
Viewing plots tonight at 6pm to choose - going to take a camera with me so I can plan from day one

shelley77

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 14:34 »
Well so far I have dug and weeded a 6m x10m area of my plot.Who knew a patch of dirt would make me so proud of myself.

The petrol strimmer I borrowed is ...well to put it politely is "POO" and yes I did check if there was petrol in it..So i did it with shears and a fork.A grand total of 9 hrs hard work.I think 8 of them hours where digging up Dock leaves and roots....Jesus must have planted them LOL.

Anyway I have just bought a polytunnel and I'm wondering whether to put it up now or wait till next year after the frosts.Who better to ask than you guys and gals :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 15:11 »
It would be worth getting it up if you want winter salads and stuff started early. :)

shelley77

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 07:39 »
I was hoping someone would say that .I'm dying to put it up :lol:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 17:58 »
I was hoping someone would say that .I'm dying to put it up :lol:

A polytunnel is great and I wouldn't be without mine now - but put it somewhere sheltered as I've seen too many on my site get demolished during a winter gale force wind.  Even if well anchored, a strong wind can rip the cover or buckle the frame.

xx
Manure in Nottingham

Started by superplanty on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 15:14
by superplanty
smiley
Nottingham Courgette flowers

Started by Aspasia on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:25
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.722 seconds with 30 queries.