Bedding Coop and nest box.

• 10 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
Bedding Coop and nest box.
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:31 »
I always used to used woodshavings but recently switched to miscanthus which I found very sharp and may have caused Georgie's limp. I can't get easichick in local scats (they say they can't order it now) Looking on line I found SHREDMASTER -Shredded Cardboard Horse Stable Bedding Dust Extracted. Can anyone recomment this for coop and nest box? Seems better value than easichick.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Bedding Coop and nest box.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:53 »
Isn't easichick the same stuff as easibed horse bedding? That's what I used to use in the UK, cheaper than easichick too.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:58 »
I didn't know that tosca, I have just checked my supplier online and there is £2 difference in the same size bag.   >:(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:34 »
 :ohmy: on ebay easibed  is much much cheaper than easichick but too far away from me
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:40 by Jo57 »

splash101

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 11:34 »
Easichick and easibed are the same. Easichick usually comes in a smaller bale but the product is the same. I've used both.

I first bought a bale of easichick because that was the only thing my chicken shop stocked other than shavings, but on the side of the bale, it showed you the other products, easibed, easichick, easicattle, easibedplus.
I managed to find a stockist of the easibed bales and worked out a lot cheaper. I think i paid £5.99 for easichick 10kg and £6.40 for easibed 20kg.

I havent used shredmaster but as it is basically shredded paper and cardboard (dust extracted) I would find out if it stays wet and congeals.

Have you been on the easibed website to find a stockist near you?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:52 »
:ohmy: on ebay easibed  is much much cheaper than easichick but too far away from me

Surely you have plenty of agricultural feed merchants in Hampshire? It is in common use in stables due to cost. Or is it that you need it delivered? Is there a friend who can pick some up for you?

Good luck in finding what you want. :)

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 13:05 »
thanks tosca. Only just started looking as Scats said they don't stock it and could not order on easichick. Will look at website.

helens-hens

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 13:53 »
For what it is worth I use easibed for the run (covered) and then combined with straw in the nest box and roosting area.

It is economical - I think I pay more than splash101 but it lasts me a good couple of months.

I sometimes find with some of the cheaper equivilants that that they can be dusty or have been damaged in transit and can then get damp.
Helen

Beano

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 14:47 »
I use Hemcore and it has citronella in it which is good. I bought Probale yesterday becaus they had no hemcore. Has anyone tried that?
El.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 16:46 »
I have just emailed local scats (who apparantly can't order me easichick) to see if they stock hemcore. During my online  search I came across Rapport? Has anyone used it? Sounds like hemcore but made from rapeseed plant not hemp. 

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 18:03 »
 ;) Just had reply saying they haven't got in stock but would like some. (I assume they think I was selling)
I answered "so would I!"
 :lol:

xx
Bedding for coop/nest box?

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 17:47
by Sassy
xx
Nest Box bedding

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 16:18
by smiler43
xx
Bedding in the coop or no need for it?

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 08:46
by YoungChickenLover
xx
Bedding?

Started by Dominic on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 21:35
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 28 queries.