ill chickens

• 11 Replies

spicerider27

ill chickens
« on: January 02, 2008, 02:34 »
Hello, I'm new to this chat and am hoping for someone that may be able to help.  I started a small flock of about 25 chicks in March, and have had no problems or losses except of a few roosters we slaughtered for dinner.  In the past week or so I have lost a hen and a rooster, and almost lost another rooster.  I live in the state of Maine, USA, and it has been cold and alot of snow.  All the chickens like to stay in the coop unless we shovel (which we do) the area around the coop. The hens have stopped laying eggs for the past few weeks.   The hen I lost started out very lethargic and wouldnt eat or drink.  It looked as if she had been picked at in the face.  I brought her inside but she passed within 12 hours.  The rooster that almost died started to not be able to walk and would lie on its back and flop around.  I brought him in and he ate and drank and after a day was on his feet but is still wobbly. The rooster I lost  started out acting as if something was wrong with its legs and would lay down, the others picked him, and the next morning after i brought him inside he passed.  Is this something to do with the weather conditions?  or is it a disease? why have they stopped laying?  I would apprieciate any advice.

Trillium

ill chickens
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:07 »
I'm no expert at chickens, but I suspect your birds are too crowded. They'll pick at the sickest or weakest. Also, I know Maine gets far colder than us and they could be suffering from that. Are the birds in just a coop or in a barn area? If a coop, you might want to bank it up with straw bales to maintain some warmth because you'll be getting still colder weather and they don't deal well with it.
Also, have you changed their food rations and type at all for winter?
A liquid vitamin in their water will also help.

When they wake, others more knowledgeable will have some more answers.

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
ill chickens
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 07:50 »
Hi Spicerider welcome to the group.
I agree with Trillium, the very cold weather you are having and possibility of over crowding will make the more dominant of your birds attack the weaker ones. Can you divide into separate houses?

I have three hen houses one large and two smaller ones that the ladies use, I have put lots of hay into all of them and the ladies do bury down into it even during the day whern it is cold.

I am about to replenish today as the forcast here in the UK is not good.

The others will be around soon and will give you more advice.

Good luck hope to hear from you again with progress. :D  :D
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
ill chickens
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 09:38 »
Hi spicerider27 welcome to the forums  :D

Like Trill and Viv are saying it could be overcrowding thats started the pecking or boredom because they don't want to go out .
the wobbly legs thing is a bit worrying as the way I've read your post this has happened to 2 birds ?
lack of egg production is  probably due to lack of daylight length.

Hang on till later more replies will follow  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
ill chickens
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:15 »
It's very difficult to give you a reason for your problems.  We have very little experience of very cold weather in the UK but I do know that North Americans do insulate their hen houses with straw bales stacked around the outside during the winter as Trillium suggests.  

I think I would check through the hen house for lice and mites as these (particularly red mite) can bring a bird down quickly, although it may be too cold for them where you are at present.

The fact that one of your birds recovered when you brought it in for tlc might indicate no serious infection although I would not rule it out.  If they are crowded in their coop they will peck each other so try to enrich their environment with things hung up for them to peck at.  

Do you know any other people living near you with hens who might be able to give you some ideas ?  

Do let us know how you're getting on !

spicerider27

ill chickens
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 12:30 »
Thanks everyone for your advice!  I am going to try to insulate the coop a little more.  My coop is 8ft x 5ft x 6ft.  I have thought about a light in the coop for the cold nights, but I know that they will pick at each other and the roosters will fight.  Im worried that if I separate some there will be less body heat to keep warm.  Trillium, you mentioned a food ration change, what effect would that have?  I have been feeding the same feed and in the same quantity. Also, you mentioned adding a liquid vitamin, what would you recommend?  Thanks again! :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
ill chickens
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 13:22 »
Scroll down to the bottom of this page:

http://www.countryfayre-countrystore.co.uk/shop.php/health-and-husbandry/c_15.html

and you'll see Poultry Booster - that's vitamins and Poultry Spice or Poultry Drink - that's minerals.  Apple cider vingar in their water can help to improve their digestion.  Worming with flubenvet every 3-6 months will get rid of worms.

This is a UK company but I'm sure you can find one nearer to you if you google for Poultry Booster.  :D

Foxy

ill chickens
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 19:43 »
Hello Spicerider and a big welcome to the forum :lol:  :lol:
The advice I have been given regarding the cold and feeding chooks is to feed them mixed corn in the afternoon -as the oats and wheat increases their body temp and helps keep them warm! I also add crushed garlic to their water as well as ACV as an added boost to their immune system.
Hope this helps - looks really cold where you are - do you have any photos? :D  :D

Trillium

ill chickens
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 21:47 »
The vitamin bottle isn't near at hand, but its from Holland and its actually for racing pigeons, but all fowl will benefit just as well. Its not cheap but a little goes a long way, well worth the investment if you want to over winter chickens.
As for foods, I made sure my hens had pellet feed rather than mash, and you can hang old cabbage leaves and such for them to peck at and eat, although layer hens will have a cabbage flavour to their eggs (but not meat birds). Hang outside lettuce leaves (from heads), apple slices and other bits of fruits in the coop so they can clean up and keep busy with.
Lots of old straw or hay to nest in, as previously suggested, is also a good idea and they'll stay busy scratching for food in it. A bored chicken is a problem chicken. And a lightbulb left on will also add a bit of heat to the coop. Until you can sort the crowding problem, daily shoveling of the outside run would be a good idea as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
ill chickens
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 21:50 »
Great advice Trillium.  I wold not recommend Hay only Straw.  Hay can cause an impacted crop.

Trillium

ill chickens
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 22:11 »
thanks for the mention, Aunty Sally - I wasn't aware about the hay thing.

And we always added some crushed garlic to the water - not too much though or they won't drink it. Alternate garlic with the liquid vitamins in the water. If your water tends to freeze, get large flat bottomed plastic bowls and fill with snow for them to 'drink'. that's how I do our racing pigeons all winter. Change every day as they just have to stand and poop in the bowls. Plastic feed pans for cows are what we use.
And always go very easy on any sunflowers you may want to add to feed - chickens don't handle them well, unlike pigeons which can pig out on them.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
ill chickens
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 22:23 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
thanks for the mention, Aunty Sally - I wasn't aware about the hay thing.

And we always added some crushed garlic to the water - not too much though or they won't drink it. Alternate garlic with the liquid vitamins in the water. If your water tends to freeze, get large flat bottomed plastic bowls and fill with snow for them to 'drink'. that's how I do our racing pigeons all winter. Change every day as they just have to stand and poop in the bowls. Plastic feed pans for cows are what we use.
And always go very easy on any sunflowers you may want to add to feed - chickens don't handle them well, unlike pigeons which can pig out on them.

Garlic is very good for preventing many health problems, especially respiratory.  I add a scoopful of garlic powder (horsey kind) to their pellets.  

I've tried a Munty method for keeping the hens water warm during cold weather.  An aquarium heater in the water - werks fer me - you have to make sure to switch it off before changing the water or it will overheat.

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
smiley
Im getting chickens!!!!!

Started by Runnerbean on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 19:36
by Runnerbean

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 37 queries.