Leaf Mulch

• 20 Replies

Sweetpea C

Re: Leaf Mulch
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 08:04 »
This post is making me excited about autumn and leaves! I've got pallets so will use those  :)
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Grubbypaws

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 09:26 »
I forgot to mention that I gather the leaves with the lawnmower so they are 'chopped' before going in the bin. I dont know if this makes a difference or not but it seems to make sense and is the easiest way to gather them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 09:28 »
Tis what Monty Don recommends  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 10:06 »
I use builders rubble sacks as well. Small is beautiful in compost terms and the daleks heat up very quickly. I like the portability too.   I keep manure in some of my daleks, and I had to laugh as you could see steam escaping from the top and hatch and the colour of the dalek fading to grey  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 10:41 »
I rake my privet hedge clippings onto the lawn and then cut the lawn and chop the clippings all in one go - lawn cut, grass mixed in with chopped clippings, not too much bending down - great.  :)

Chopping leaves the same way would also work, although you would of course be mixing at least some grass in with them. I don't bother because the leaves I collect are from the street trees so have to be picked up the hard way anyway.

Chopping does speed up decomposition by increasing the surface area for the flora and fauna to get stuck into, although you need to be a bit more careful not to overdo the packing in because you don't want to exclude all the air from the compost pile.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 10:45 »
I keep leaves separate.  I put the grass mowings into builders rubble sacks too and it rots down like mad.  I used it in the potato growing beds as I read it helped with potato scab. I had expected a slimy brown mess but it was quite dry and crumbly. It had been in the corner of the plot between two hedges so was not exactly in full sun  :) 

xx
LEAF MULCH QUIERY PLSE

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 00:32
by peterjf
xx
Christmas tree leaf mold/mulch

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 03, 2014, 17:22
by Steveharford
xx
Pet hay as a mulch

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 15:54
by bazh
xx
Mulch

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 02, 2020, 22:53
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 30 queries.