Settling in

• 19 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Settling in
« on: August 09, 2013, 13:10 »
OH's feather challenged Shumens are settling in well, and all is harmony in the pen. Sevi is delighted to have seven new wives and is mating with all of them, but has a favourite in my black rock lookalike, Venus. The strange thing is, though they can go into either shed, and are in and out all day, the Shumens go to bed in the shed they were in on their first night, and my girls go into their's. But the Shumen girls lay in the girls' shed. Very odd.

They all have their favourite places, but there is a spare perch in the girls' shed.

BobE

Re: Settling in
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 13:18 »
Lovely

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 14:39 »
Have any of your girls started to lay yet Tosca?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

tosca100

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 16:04 »
Have any of your girls started to lay yet Tosca?

Nope. They are all acting like brazen hussies, especially Silver and Venus, and their combs are suddenly shooting, but no eggs yet. The Shumens are both laying and we have ten in the incubator and hopefully another ten this week in the other. Their feathers are growing, especially their flight feathers which had been cut by the previous owner. Looking forward to seeing what Sevi looks like when his tail grows. :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 16:23 »
Looking at the pictures they should be laying very soon, but they do like to keep us guessing.   ::)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 23:32 »
They are so beautiful!  Did you take the pic during the hot spell?  Chocky (Choc Pekin) opens her beak when she is warm (and sitting on my shoulder)....... I can hear her breath I my ear :tongue2:!!!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

BobE

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 02:26 »
Nerdle you are so lovely.  :D

tosca100

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 03:38 »
They are so beautiful!  Did you take the pic during the hot spell?  Chocky (Choc Pekin) opens her beak when she is warm (and sitting on my shoulder)....... I can hear her breath I my ear :tongue2:!!!

There has been a hot spell here (Bulgaria) for a couple of months. Just lately temps have been in the late 30s and as high as 42. The chickens cope really well with it, though I was worried at first when they were panting when going to bed and getting up. They spend most of the day under the trees or in an open shed, and we hose a patch by the house where the shade comes first at around 4.30, so they can scratch around without all the dust and sit on cool ground for a while. I am surprised they look so well.

But I do wish Sevi would give up his midday 'rights' and not chase them around in the sun....not that they seem to mind! Hussies..... :lol:

tosca100

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:33 »
Bit of an update. The girls are all in lay now, with eggs from my girls ranging from nearly white to brown. They are all going to bed in the original shed now, and though initially they all crowded onto one perch, now Sevi and Silver (fave at the moment) have their own space. Sevi liked to sit with the youngsters at first when they laid, but leaves them to it now. The cardboard boxes have been replaced by a lovely, very substantial nest box unit built by my OH out of 6" planks...we can't get ply wood out here.

All the Shumens are feathering up nicely, the ladies are getting nice fluffy bums and Sevi's tail is growing. All their wing feathers are growing where they were clipped before we had them.

I am so enjoying having chickens again...though we have far too many eggs! :lol:

Silver laid a big 'un yesterday. I bet that made her eyes water

All accounted for. It's still very warm at night but the shed is well ventilated.

Sevi being attentive. Venus doesn't realise he is just as attentive with Silver. He likes his big girls.

The new nest boxes

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 11:54 »
That is great news that they are all finally laying.  You can always freeze some of the eggs so you have some for baking in the winter.  I think others freeze them in batches of how many eggs they will need for a recipe and add a little water when they have defrosted.

The nest box is looking really good, well done OH.  I would round off the wood perch in front and the facia board that they will hop on to get in as they can get splinters and then bumblefoot.   ;)

Keep the pictures coming, they are all looking really happy and healthy.   :)

tosca100

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 12:03 »
All sorted. The boxes have been inspected and approved with Silver and Bunty sitting at the moment. :D

I have to admit I was a bit worried it would put them off, they do hate change! :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 12:06 »
True, but they also like to think they are getting something the others aren't.   ::) :lol:

Epona_4

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 15:12 »
Looks fabulous Tosca, well done oh on the nest box too  :D

tosca100

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 15:16 »
Looks fabulous Tosca, well done oh on the nest box too  :D

Thank you. I'll pass it on, these men do like a bit of encouragement. :lol:

Epona_4

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 15:28 »
hahaha food and praise keeps em going doll! :D

xx
settling in

Started by grumpydad on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 20:30
by grumpydad
xx
settling in.

Started by timtheenchanteruk on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 21:22
by timtheenchanteruk
xx
New girls settling well :)

Started by OpiumEater on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2011, 21:03
by OpiumEater

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 28 queries.