Canker on apple tree - photo to follow

• 8 Replies

Kirpi

Canker on apple tree - photo to follow
« on: August 08, 2013, 20:29 »
I plan to get photos for this post, but just to say I bought a 4-variety family apple tree four years ago. I thought one of the grafts looked dodgey when it first arrived, but lack of experience meanty I didn't do anything about it. I now know I should have taken a photograph and contacted the supplier. I suppose I don't have a leg to stand on.

Now, four years later and the canker has opened a large hole to the heartwood about two thirds of the way round the main trunk and the leaves on at least one grafted branch have all died and the fruit is shrivelled.

I guess there is nothing to do but pull it out and start again.

Very sad - I hate to lose trees.

BobE

Re: Canker on apple tree - photo to follow
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 21:37 »
Without seeing it.... Could you prune out the bad graft and keep the others.
Bandage the split. Tightly and it might heal. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 21:38 by BobE »

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 22:22 »
I don't think I could prune out this graft without virtually ring-barking the trunk.

I have added photos for reference and am using these to support my case against the supplier for a refund.

I think one of the pics shows that the canker - if that is what it is - started at the grafts.
appletree canker1.jpg
appletree canker2.jpg
appletree splices.jpg

grinling

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 23:17 »
As it is on the root stock there is not much you can do apart from burning the trees to prevent spread.
What is the soil like as badly drained soil helps canker.
do you have other fruit trees and are they showing any brown spots on the leaves?

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 23:59 »
The above photos are of one tree; both sides. I spent the extra money for a single tree with four apple types spliced in to make the most of limited space.

The ground is free draining loam.

No other trees around so no brown spots on leaves elsewhere.

I suppose the only thing to do will - as you suggest - be to pull out, burn and replace.

BobE

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 02:21 »
You could take it to the dump if burning is difficult.  Now the bad news.
You can't plant an apple in that position again.  Also you will need to dig over that area very well.  I would let it and the 2 square meters around it lie fallow for the next season.  But even then not an apple or of the same family.  Sorry.

Kirpi

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 16:33 »
Thanks for replies. The Royal Horticultural Society suggests successful replanting with a replacement apple tree if the original soil is removed to a few centimetres around the replacement root spread, so I will try this first as the cankered tree has only been in the ground for four seasons, so will be fairly easy to remove, and the amount of soil to exchange will be easy to find on the plot.

some helpful tips here from the RHS:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=572

Kirpi

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 13:15 »
Follow up on how this has gone:

Following three well spaced emails to the supplier of the tree, I have received no reply at all - not even to advise whether the tree is worth saving or not. Nothing.

I did email them finally to let them know I couldn't possibly buy any more stock from a company that doesn't bother to offer any level of after sales care and would not be recommending them to fellow gardeners.

It's a shame - I did think that a tree ordered from the Isle of Wight would be far enough south to be compatible for growing in Cornwall, but a friend down here did suggest that the weather was possibly a lot more moist down here than on the IOW; though it is obvious the canker started from one of the family tree splices.

It seems that if you are going for an apple tree, it is best to go for one that has only one graft to the rootstock. Family trees sound like a good idea but are notorious for failing. That's coming from a friend of mine with a Hort. degree.

grinling

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 21:43 »
It is amazing how many companies don't answer.
Have a good look around the garden centres.. I got a cherry an apple tree from Morrisons in the sale.

xx
Apple Tree - Canker?

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 12, 2008, 22:08
by theappleman
clip
did my cherry tree get canker?

Started by honeymelon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2017, 21:27
by honeymelon
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 31 queries.