Things I won't bother to grow next year.

• 111 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Things I won't bother to grow next year.
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2013, 18:50 »
Whats a grafted aubs Devon?  Was also thinking not going to bother with aubergines again.  Ha! One flower? I wish I had even one.....

And nothing off my purple beans yet  :( it must be me.

It's a aubergine grafted onto vigorous, disease free rootstock.

They are supposed to be stronger, more vigorous plants, more resistant to disease and according to a lot of growers have an improved flavour.

I've had no luck with aubs in the past - even the outdoor ones I grew in the greenhouse last year produced 2 just-about-big-enough to eat fruits! A lot of work for not much produce.

Thought i'd experiment with grafted plants this year - bought 3 grafted aubergines and 3 grafted cukes (as never had much luck with these either) and got 3 grafted toms for free.

Yes the plants are £3.30 each effectively (though the free toms brings that price down a bit) but I'm going to have plenty of produce and I love moussaka Surbie ;)
And ratatouille :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2013, 18:52 »
New Shoot grew a grafted aub, last year, and that had an impressive crop too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

dim

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2013, 19:31 »
I planted a grafted sweet potato at one of my client's homes .... it looks very healthy and is growing like crazy

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2013, 19:33 »
I planted a grafted sweet potato at one of my client's homes .... it looks very healthy and is growing like crazy

Now having failed with these spectacularly a couple of years ago ( may have been the quality of slips from a certain plant distributor we mention much here ::) ) I haven't bothered again.

Now having had success with grafted plants already this year, that would interest me

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2013, 19:39 »
.................and I love moussaka........... 
And ratatouille

So do I, but I use courgette or other summer squash instead and can't really taste any difference in the finished dish  ::) :lol:

dim

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2013, 19:40 »

Now having failed with these spectacularly a couple of years ago ( may have been the quality of slips from a certain plant distributor we mention much here ::) ) I haven't bothered again.

Now having had success with grafted plants already this year, that would interest me

Scotsdales garden centre in cambridge had loads of grafted plants earlier on in the year (including tomatoes, chillies etc)

I only bought the sweet potato, but will try the others when they sell them again (I visit there daily as I live less than a mile away)

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2013, 20:38 »

Scotsdales garden centre in cambridge had loads of grafted plants earlier on in the year (including tomatoes, chillies etc)

I only bought the sweet potato, but will try the others when they sell them again (I visit there daily as I live less than a mile away)

None of my local garden centres had any grafted plants this year - and only one had actually HAD some but had sold out ::)
So got mine from Marshalls and very pleased I am too ;)

I've not found anything yet I wouldn't have a go at again next year but there are a few things that won't be harvestable until much later in the year so I reserve judgement :D

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2013, 11:08 »
Thanks, thats really interesting-  however my attempt at balsamic roasted veg lasange was only enjoyed by me and hubby.  3 teens unimpressed.   If it's just going to be us eating aubs in any form I may buy them and use the greenhouse space for other stuff.  I've just had the pass the parcel and there is lots of aub seeds in there  :D  Kids also refused to allow me to take out any courgette seeds  :tongue2:

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2013, 19:22 »
 :wacko: I won't be growing 3 courgette plants!!!!!!

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2013, 22:52 »

I grew 6 plants this year - might make it 4 or 5 next year...

Sparkyrog

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2013, 22:55 »
I will stick to 0 :lol:
I cook therefore I grow

Auntiemogs

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2013, 23:01 »
I grew 6 plants this year - might make it 4 or 5 next year...
I've gone for the climbing type this year and whilst not as prolific as a bush type, they don't take up very much space.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

JohnB47

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2013, 23:15 »
Growing three courgette plants this year but they look like they're turning into trifids! Might be fewer next year.

timdunn

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2013, 00:11 »
Rocket, unless I invest in some fine netting. Too many flea beetle holes very off putting in a salad have been throwing handfuls of the stuff into omelettes. Same goes for pak choi

Less main crop spuds. Mine arnt yet ready there hogging room on the plot and I prefer newer spuds

Less strawberries I inherited just far too many of them and have frozen so many. would rather have the space for some raspberries so I have something to eat fresh when the strawberries are done.

If you grow wild rocket you'll probably avoid the problem and it doesn't run to seed as readily.

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2013, 11:08 »
Broad beans are too much faff
Rocket, nobody likes it
Radish ditto
Chard, too easily bolts
Lettuce, can't give em away and I can't be bothered eating the stuff. Aptly named "rabbit food"
Brassicas in general. Too many other creatures like them

I know where you are coming from Alan. I grew broad beans for the 1st time this year. They did taste nice but I think we had 2 or 3 dinners out of a long doube row. The black fly from them I reckon spread to my french beans so they will be very lucky if they get any floor space next year.
Radish - what a pointless vegetable - but I do use it to mark lines of stuff grown amongst it. 10% get eaten.
Chard - grown it for the 1st time this year as I love the look of it. So disappointed when I served it for dinner the other night - tasteless!
Lettuce - disagree there I'm afraid - you just need to grow the right amount that suits you.
Brassicas - they really need that fine mesh over them. I have about 6 massive cabbages that have done well, but so frustrating that when you get close to them you see they are decimated.

xx
Things I don't bother doing on the allotment....

Started by jonotaylor on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 21:37
by whistler
xx
cucumbers-shall I bother this year

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 13:53
by Herb
xx
Will things grow?!

Started by Kelly1976 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 22:26
by FCG
xx
things I can't grow

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 14:47
by whitehill1

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 29 queries.