To buy or not to buy.........?

• 45 Replies

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
To buy or not to buy.........?
« on: August 06, 2013, 17:13 »
Sorry about the picture quality, its the only one the seller had.

I'm looking to bid on this 10x6 greenhouse.  I'm aware it's a tedious job dismantling and reconstructing one but this looks ideal for my plot.  Also I'll need to construct a concrete/block base for it.  What are the poles in between the roof panes? They look like support that aren't attached to anything.  What would you be prepared to bid up to for similar?   :).  Cheers

I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

BobE

Re: To buy or not to buy.........?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 17:21 »
The poles are probably to tie strings to that would support tomatoes and cucumbers in its past.

The greenhouse people have a new aluminium 10 x 6 for £478.
Considering the amount of work involved in the move and the fact that you would have to replace most of the bolts, some would need to be drilled out.  Also you would need all new glasing springs let alone any glass you would break I'd not go over £50.00

This is £478 brand new.
Simplicity Shugborough 6x10

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 17:32 »
He may have added extra bracing if it's in a windy place, or crop bars as Bob says  ;)

That size is going between £70 - £100 around here  ;)

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 17:38 »
Thanks Bob.  Yeah a bag of bolts and springs are only a few quid so no problem there. Plus I can get panes of glass for £1 each.  I can't justify a £478 outlay for an allotment greenhouse.  I reckon it might go for around £70 as 8x6's usually go for around 50ish. Hmmm, think I'll bid.

Just saw your post MoS, agreed.

BobE

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 17:40 »
Mos has more experience than me.  Kent is the garden of England.  I'd go with her opinion. 
Other people on here that have done this say.  Take loads of pictures before you dismantle it as it helps you remantile it properly.  Put up some pics of when its fully restored.

The new price was a comparison price not a suggestion.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 17:41 by BobE »

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 17:53 »
Mos has more experience than me.  Kent is the garden of England.  I'd go with her opinion. 
Other people on here that have done this say.  Take loads of pictures before you dismantle it as it helps you remantile it properly.  Put up some pics of when its fully restored.

The new price was a comparison price not a suggestion.

Let you know how the bidding goes.  Thanks.

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 15:01 »
Snagged it, £52.46  :).  Fun starts next week.

BobE

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 15:09 »
Snagged it, £52.46  :) .  Fun starts next week.

Well done.  Remember to take photos of every frame to help you rebuild it.  Also use a felt pen to put numbers on the bars where they join together.
Good luck with it,
we will love to hear how it all proceds.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 19:59 »
 :) Well done! We managed to get one 8' x 6' for £60. We took lots of pics before dismantling it. We did break a few panes whilst taking it apart but we do have some poly plasticky sheets that can be cut to size. We haven't got round to erecting it yet, but Plotfather has made the base. Hopefully next week we will have time to put it together. I can't promise that the local air won't turn a shade of blue :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 20:50 »
Snagged it, £52.46  :).  Fun starts next week.

Lucky you - a bargain price  ;)

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 09:25 »
Well it looked like too much of a bargain. The seller cancelled the sale AFTER I'd paid for it citing he meant to just have a Buy it Now price rather than an auction.  I cancelled the payment.  He was obviously unhappy with the final price.  Idiot.  Bad feedback on its way  >:(.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 15:53 »
Oh that's just norty,bet you're fedup.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 20:47 »
 :mad: What a let down. Have another go if the opportunity arises. Not everyone plays unfairly.

BobE

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 20:59 »
Well it looked like too much of a bargain. The seller cancelled the sale AFTER I'd paid for it citing he meant to just have a Buy it Now price rather than an auction.  I cancelled the payment.  He was obviously unhappy with the final price.  Idiot.  Bad feedback on its way  >:( .

Just thinking this over.  What price did he want?  Would you be prepared to pay that?  You could do a deal.  He won't get a lot more for it and he knows it now.  But he does want to sell.  Why not have a conversation.

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 21:43 »
Well it looked like too much of a bargain. The seller cancelled the sale AFTER I'd paid for it citing he meant to just have a Buy it Now price rather than an auction.  I cancelled the payment.  He was obviously unhappy with the final price.  Idiot.  Bad feedback on its way  >:( .

Just thinking this over.  What price did he want?  Would you be prepared to pay that?  You could do a deal.  He won't get a lot more for it and he knows it now.  But he does want to sell.  Why not have a conversation.

I did ask what he wanted and he replied £125 no offers. I just laughed at him.  I buy and sell a lot of things on the auction site and I've never had a cancellation post sale before.  It was up to me to accept his cancellation request, I wasn't obliged to do so, but things may have got messy in the long run.  I am disappointed as you don't get that many greenhouses 8x6 and above selling in the Liverpool area but Im confident of buying one before the cold weather sets in making dismantling one all the more difficult.  Cheers Bob.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 31 queries.