Recover a putrefied compost

• 10 Replies

Amilo

• Experienced Member
Recover a putrefied compost
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:01 »
A neighbour is going to move to another house soon, and has asked if I would like the contents of his compost bin, obviously I jumped at the chance and said yes.

On inspection I found the plastic bin was full of grass and cooked food and it stinks to high heaven. Is it recoverable or would I contaminate my well tended compost?

strider84

• Experienced Member
Re: Recover a putrefied compost
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 10:09 »
What kind of cooked food?

simonwatson

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:11 »
Smelly means anaerobic digestion is going on in there. It needs to be turned and layered with something to let the air in. Cooked food is bad as it attracts pests like mice and rats, but is not inherently non-compostable. I'd be pretty wary about mixing it with my well maintained bin.

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:29 »
Thanks for the reply, as I suspected, I could recover it, the cooked food is mainly about 4 whole loaves of bread that is now broken up and a little plate scrapings.

In my own compost's I use a liberal amount of hedge clipping to help with airiation and when the compost is ready I sieve it and recycle the un-composted clipping into the  nest bin. So I think I will keep the "new compost" separate and add it bit at a time.

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:53 »
Only thing is rotting bread may attract mice and rats. If there is cooked veg large amounts of this will be rotting quicker therefore smelling and again may attract pests. Hopefully they haven't put any meat in there!

BobE

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:17 »
You could dig a hole a couple of spades deep, dump it in and cover it with earth.  Cover with a canvas, tarp or some such and leave it for a year.

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:40 »
Hole in the ground, I like it. :happy:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 12:54 »
You could dig a hole a couple of spades deep, dump it in and cover it with earth.  Cover with a canvas, tarp or some such and leave it for a year.

Our badgers and foxes on site would just love that for a challenge.  :ohmy: maybe layer it with plenty of browns to soak up the liquid and get air in. Worth a go but maybe better on the plot out of the way than in the garden. ( dont think you said where it was going but just incase)

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 14:01 »
It certainly is recoverable.  Just by moving it and spreading it you'll aerate it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it being contaminated with bread or food scraps.  Rats will get into the heap whether or not there's edibles in there.  For nesting and over-wintering.  Live and let live.

I like your use of hedge clippings for aeration.  Your neighbour's stuff will help break them down if turned into your heap.  It'll act as an activator.

Or we could just go and buy a consumer product to do the same job from a Garden Centre...

Best wishes, whatever you decide.

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 18:07 »

That's not a compost heap, it's a midden.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 23:22 »
You can always use it as an opportunity to create a wormery.  I have one which I use to produce potting compost.  It doesn't create huge amounts, but my system is a fairly small one.  You can use stackable storage containers - just look on Youtube for similar projects.  You can buy in the live tiger worms required from fishing shops (more cheaply), as well as online (bit more expensive).  My children find my wormery bin fascinating and help me sieve the compost (in fact, it is all I can do to stop my little boy filling his pockets with his "pet worms"!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
Will the potatoes recover?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 22:12
by Yorkie
xx
Do tayties recover?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 21:40
by casper
xx
Will these Yuki's recover

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 15:40
by savbo
xx
Can potatoes recover from frost damage

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 19:33
by victoria park

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 36 queries.