Seeds for 2014

• 20 Replies

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
Seeds for 2014
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:32 »
Like many confessed seed buying alcoholics I can't wait to order my seeds for next year.
My question is:
When do the seed company's replace the present years stock ?
I know fresh seed is best and in some cases imperative i.e. parsnip.  I don't want to buy too soon but I don't want to wait a day longer than I have to.  Any insider knowledge available please ?
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

Ivor Backache

Re: Seeds for 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:36 »
I am the opposite. I buy old seed at the end of the season at reduced prices. As for parsnip, put them between damp tissue paper and sow those with roots showing. Seeds are getting very expensive, but you should expect them to be Ok for a couple of years.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:16 »
I buy mine as and went people on here post and tell me what i should be or should have sowed. Never been that organised to plan ahead like that. I am organised in every other way so it is strange.

Amazon gets here so fast there is no need to buy in advance, i may this year make a list of interesting ones i want to try which would be a first, usually i see the lovely pictures and thats me sold.  ::)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 12:56 »
I know fresh seed is best and in some cases imperative i.e. parsnip.  I don't want to buy too soon but I don't want to wait a day longer than I have to.  Any insider knowledge available please ?

No insider knowledge, but consider that seeds have yet to be harvested, sorted, graded, tested, batch packed and advertised in the spring catalogue ... I reckon mid winter-early spring but, depending on where you buy them, they may just ship the perfectly good last year's seeds to you anyway and have fresh stocks ready for the big spring buy.  The expiry dates on the packet give a good couple of years leeway.

I'd like to think I don't need any more seeds as I've tried various varieties over the years to get a good idea of what grows well and what I'm most likely going to eat, but I'm afraid I still have a trigger finger when browsing online on the pc and before I know it, there are purchases in the shopping cart  :wub:

!!!  NOTE:  I will NOT be buying any more winter squash or chilli or tomato seeds for the 2014 season !!!! 

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 13:09 »
I'd like to think I don't need any more seeds as I've tried various varieties over the years to get a good idea of what grows well and what I'm most likely going to eat, but I'm afraid I still have a trigger finger when browsing online on the pc and before I know it, there are purchases in the shopping cart  :wub:

I am glad I am not the only one.  Even after 60 years of veg. growing there is always something worth trying.

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 16:14 »
Tom, have you really been growing veg for sixty years! Or was that a typo? If you have that is amazing, it has taken me a long time to get into gardening, so I guess I will never learn as much as you have done. Trying something new is always exciting. I am not sure how you can know when the fresh seed is in, perhaps when the sales are over?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 16:22 »
After the sales? - that's when the new packets are out in stores.
but as most packets say packed in year....... doesn't mean the seed they've put in there is fresh, does it  :dry:
Cynical moi?  ::)

Asherweef

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 16:24 »
I need to invest in a gardening notebook so that I can start planning my seeds... Only a small garden rather than an allotment but I'd like to be organised... I would have assumed that new seeds would only be hitting the shelves in early winter, but would be back-stocked (like the milk in Tesco) so that the early bird still gets the old seed... no? I was always under the impression that seed sales only sold the old, old seed.

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 16:38 »
Tom, have you really been growing veg for sixty years! Or was that a typo?

Not a typo.  I dug my first veggie patch with knife, fork, & spoon as a child of nine in 1952.  I grew tomatoes, radish, lettuce, & spring onions.  The seeds came from Woolworths,  Bee's Seeds at 4 old pence a packet.  Since then I have lived in Wales, England & Scotland before retiring to my home country of Cornwall.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 17:49 »
I think a lot of seed remains viable for some years (I'm sure there's a table on here somewhere?) and I think it would have to be a pretty good sale price to compete with Premierseeds (ebay/Amazon). 

Having said that, fret ye not fellow seedaholic, I'm sure some kind person will post when the time is nigh!  :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Headgardener22

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 18:24 »
I always buy in late January because I spend the winter trying to work out what new veg I can try this year, especially what new tomatoes and many of them have to come from the US.

Rosehip

• My Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 18:52 »
I usually draw up plan of allotment then look at rotations,veg I must have,new veg to try out depending on space left over.I look at seed catalogs late winter and usually have seed bought/ordered by February.

allotmentann

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 19:29 »
Tom, have you really been growing veg for sixty years! Or was that a typo?

Not a typo.  I dug my first veggie patch with knife, fork, & spoon as a child of nine in 1952.  I grew tomatoes, radish, lettuce, & spring onions.  The seeds came from Woolworths,  Bee's Seeds at 4 old pence a packet.  Since then I have lived in Wales, England & Scotland before retiring to my home country of Cornwall.

Tom, what a good gardening start in life and what lovely memories to have. :)

seaside

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 19:37 »
Our allotment association does a bulk purchase of next year's stock from Dobies at an excellent discount from the catalogue price.
The annual closing date for members to be included in the bulk order is the Winter solstice, and we receive the seed mid to late January. It all runs like clockwork apart from the very rare hiccup with a seed or two due to unusual weather.
What a long growing life you've had Tom, great stuff. Was that the Woollies in Market Jew St ?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 19:40 by seaside »

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 08:52 »
Thanks for that you lovely people.
The received wisdom seems to be "Wait 'till Christmas"
I am not sure I can, but will try.
Yes - Penzance, Market Jew Street.  WHat are you doing in DEVON !

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Seeds.

Started by Grasshopper on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 12, 2007, 11:47
by gobs
xx
Seeds

Started by Nogger on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2009, 23:02
by rink123
xx
seeds

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 18:07
by SG6

Page created in 0.925 seconds with 30 queries.