Disappointed in the Music

• 8 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Disappointed in the Music
« on: July 28, 2013, 19:46 »
My garlic are just about ready to come up now, because they're all turning brown and falling over. I thought I'd lift them next weekend but had a furtle today to see how big they are and I'm a bit disappointed in the Music. It's my first attempt with that variety.  I was expecting them to be very big, and they are okay, but my Iberian White and Thermidrome have produced much bigger bulbs. I always tend to get lovely big bulbs from those two varieties, but I'm very surprised to see the Music so much smaller. If it's location, water or feed causing it then Music must be a bit more picky than the other two because they're all planted in the same bed and have had the same food and water.

Chrysalis

Re: Disappointed in the Music
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 20:18 »
Our Music was better last year than this. Lovely flavour, and keeps well.  But we got allium leaf miner this year  :(  Not much growth, like yours, shokky.

We'll have to change the soil completely for next year and get some fresh bulbs.  I also put in something from the supermarket, just in case, and it was great! Small, but perfectly round bulbs and not so much leaf miner damage.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 20:42 »
Same here Shokkyy.  It's the first year I've grown it and I thought I'd done a good job of preparing the bed.   :(

Have a couple of largish bulbs but nowhere near the size of DDs.  I think I may go back to growing in pots to save bed space for something else as the yield wasn't any different from last year....
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 20:50 »
Mine weren't good either, I don't think they liked the drier weather.

I never thought of watering them but a few sites say you should water them well. This one does
http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/garlic-growing-guide

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 00:42 »
I have been watering mine regularly through all the dry weather. And as I say, my Thermidrome and Iberian Wight have produced some very big bulbs. But those varieties always do, that's why they're my favourites.

The other difference between the varieties was that only the Music put off scapes, every single bulb did it, whereas the other two varieties didn't put off any at all. I did take the scapes off, but maybe that took growing energy out of the bulbs.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 05:53 »
I have been watering mine regularly through all the dry weather. And as I say, my Thermidrome and Iberian Wight have produced some very big bulbs. But those varieties always do, that's why they're my favourites.

The other difference between the varieties was that only the Music put off scapes, every single bulb did it, whereas the other two varieties didn't put off any at all. I did take the scapes off, but maybe that took growing energy out of the bulbs.

Thermidrome and Iberian Wight are both soft neck so won't produce scapes  ;)  The other thing is that they are both lifted earlier than Music which is a late maturing variety.

Having saying that, have to confess that the varieties I grew this year are all on the "small" side (about 50:50 good and small) - Illico, Chesnok, Picardy, Tuscany and Music so I'm inclined to agree that the dry hot weather hastened things along faster than they should have especially as they had a slow start due to the long cold spring.  The Tuscany were particularly disappointing given the blurb but I had to lift them this weekend as rot was starting to set in.  I have finally concluded that late maturing varieties in general are not suited to my plot (Illico by far rates better by maturing early and avoiding some of the inevitable rot (not white rot) later in the season.

I have been looking at Iberian Wight (nice to see a good review) and thinking of getting some Early Purple Wight which used to do well on my plot for next year.

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:18 »
I am not a "garlic expert" but I tried three on my new plot this year.  Planted in December & January.
Solent Wight
Picardy Wight
and cloves from my wife's kitchen.
The kitchen variety grew well for about two months then died back.
The other two produced small but well flavoured bulbs, about half the size of the parent.
I did not water or feed them apart from the initial prep of the ground.
I have ordered Provence Wight for this Winter's planting.  Should I feed & water regularly in dry spells ?
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

Debz

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 11:52 »
I picked mine yesterday from the raised beds in my sister's garden and they are marvellous.  The only problem is, I can't remember what variety they are.  I bought some last year to grow but before I could them all, they started to shoot so I planted them for this year.  They are even better than last years' ones and look perfect.  I'll have a rummage about in the shed and see if I can find a label.

Tea Break

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 16:38 »
Garlic, onions they belong to the same family and they all like to be watered in hot spell, I watered mine every day. I don't know what they are just picked them up from B&Q when reduced and there not a bad size about eight to twelve cloves on each.

Mike.

xx
Music 3

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 20:28
by viettaclark
xx
a little disappointed

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 08:08
by chrissie B
xx
Music garlic

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 13, 2012, 20:32
by Chrysalis
xx
Music garlic - where to buy?!

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 13:42
by AnneB

Page created in 1.17 seconds with 38 queries.