Good news at last!! A new hatchling!!!!

• 7 Replies

Prod

Good news at last!! A new hatchling!!!!
« on: July 24, 2013, 19:53 »
About 3weeks ago my Bluebelle, Veronica, went broody so I let her sit on the eggs as I wasn't really bothered. At that time I still had Thatcher so the eggs would have all been Welsummer cross. Ive just been down to check on everything and noticed a tiny little head poking up :)  A new chick, it has come from a brown egg so it must be either a Marans or a Columbian Blacktail cross. It is virtually black with a tiny white chest and a titchy stripe on its head.  The other eggs are 2 Cream Legbars plus a couple  more marans/blacktail and possibly one of Ronnies. Ronnie is in a wicker basket and gets out for food & water, what do I do about feeding the chick (I know I have to give it crumb)  I mean should I leave it with her or put it in a broody box??? My cream Legbar also went broody this week but was just sat on a dummy egg so I bought 6 Nankin eggs and she put them under her today & she seems quite happy!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 19:57 by Prod »

Sparkyrog

Re: Good news at last!! A new hatchling!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 19:56 »
leave it with mum it should be fine for 24 hrs  :) make sure water drinker is not too deep ,the chick won't venture far until mum leaves the nest !
I cook therefore I grow

Prod

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 19:59 »
Thanks.  That is the problem, the wicker basket is square and about 10ins deep.  Should I take her out of it so the chick can find food & water??  I am cautious about disturbing her especially as the other eggs haven't hatched yet.....

Sparkyrog

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 20:02 »
No leave her be till tomorrow evening at least she will know when to move  :) possibly put a saucer of water in if it cant be tipped up .

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 21:10 »
That is good news Prod.   :D

I usually offer my broody water and chick crumb in the last couple of days before hatch and again once they hatch until she takes them off the nest.  You don't want her to dehydrate in this heat.  You can add a little honey dissolved in boiled water to her water and this should help keep her hydrated.  Just a small saucer of chick crumb is usually appreciated as she won't have been off the nest.  Keep an eye out for her pooing in the nest and remove it asap if she does.  If the basket is not big enough for the food and water just hold it until she has had some.  She will probably complain but once she has had some she will quieten down.  If you don't have a chick drinker you can put marbles in a normal drinker so they don't drown.  Small pebbles do the same job as long as you make sure they are clean (I use steri fluid).   ;)

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 21:55 »
Great news Prod  :)  Glad you are seeing the good side of chicken keeping again after your recent problems  :)

Prod

Re: Good news at last!! A new hatchling!!!! Pix Added
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 16:02 »
Veronica abandoned the nest today leaving the other 3 eggs.  I checked and none were formed, just full of white runny liquid.  So considering I wasn't bothered I now have 3 new chicks on the scene, 2 black and one golden(ish)   Knowing my luck though they will all be boys!!!!!
Veronica & Chicks 006.JPG
Ronnie's Chicks.JPG
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 16:03 by Prod »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 16:35 »
They are lovely so fingers crossed for a couple of girls  :)

xx
good and bad news

Started by cheekychick22 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 17:15
by Lmo25
xx
Good news!

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 09:11
by joyfull
xx
Good news today (hopefully)

Started by sheridal on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 22:16
by Vember
xx
Good and surprising news about Gracie!!!

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 22:01
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 38 queries.