Newbie with a few problems.

• 6 Replies

wellieboots

Newbie with a few problems.
« on: July 20, 2013, 21:54 »
This is our first year on allotement and as we were late getting the plot I bought some veg plants from a market stall so do not know varieties. However I have had a couple of problems and wonder what might be causing them.
Firstly I had sprouting broccoli that has bolted. I have courgettes that are growing and then turning yellow at the tips. Any suggestions why?
I have also planted some cauliflower and notice that on 3 of the plants I have small heads showing. However is this too early and may these bolt too?
My sprouts seem to be doing okay and have some leeks on the go too. Should I be feeding them now and if so can anyone suggest some feed?

Sorry for my list but I thought I would get it all down while I remembered. Thank you

Totty

Re: Newbie with a few problems.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 22:23 »
Hi wellieboots, the broccoli may have been a summer cropper, mine also bolted early, I think the over wintered PSB is better.
Not sure about the courgette without a picture or info on where it's sited etc. you could give it a feed with some balanced fertiliser initially, such as phostrogen, then start giving it some tomato food every other week or so to help with fruit and flower development.
With your caulis, again they may be a summer variety, watch them closely and don't let them get too big as they will quickly bolt and the curds will be useless, again I think the over wintered ones are better and less eager to go over.
I don't generally feed sprouts or leeks much at all and rely on getting the ground right beforehand, obviously you have a new plot so don't know what your soil is like but if you think they look like they are struggling you could give them some phostrogen as a quick pick up, but generally a sprinkling of chicken manure pellets or some BFB hoed in will be sufficient.
Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!

Totty

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:07 »
When you say your courgettes are going yellow at the tips, do you mean the fruits or the leaves?

Steveharford

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:34 »
I find that I always have a few courgette fruits that go yellow and wither at the ends.they are obviously not developing properly.  Just cut them off and better ones will appear eventually.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:18 »
I had a similar problem when I got my allotment two years ago. I planted loads of stuff and it did not grow too well. Talking to other allotment holders and reading books etc - I realised the problem was the soil. It lacked compost / manure etc - it was dry and dusty and over worked. Fertilizer helped but was not a long term solution.  Built a compost heap - got some horse manure - double dug it in - and two years later the soil is getting better and so are my crops. If it is any help - courgettes and squash - I brought some cheap grow bags - dug a hole - put about half a grow bag in each hole and then planted - worked a treat.

wellieboots

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 21:15 »
Can I just say a big thank you for your help. It is the fruit going yellow so will pick them of and hope for the best.I will keep close eye on caulis and keep fingers crossed.  :)

crh75

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:13 »
Your courgette problem sounds like they are not getting pollinated.  This can be done by hand using a paint brush (the male flowers are the ones with no mini courgette behind). Or, as was my problem until very recently, the males and female flowers are not opening at the same time.  In which case just wait and they will sort themselves out.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 13:56 by crh75 »

xx
newbie - problems with parsnips and carrots

Started by hebridean on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 03, 2010, 07:17
by littlelisa
xx
Pea problems

Started by dig4victory on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 16:47
by dig4victory
xx
Pea Problems

Started by ruth82 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 19:30
by yummy
xx
pot problems

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 09:00
by chris23005

Page created in 0.719 seconds with 36 queries.