Eschalot Gris

• 5 Replies

Steveharford

Eschalot Gris
« on: July 20, 2013, 14:58 »
Hi all. Just harvested my Jermor shallots as the tops had browned up but the eschalot(banana shallots) are still green yet they have flopped over. Whereas the Jermors were obviously ready as the bulbs were above ground, the eschalots are pretty well buried. The ones i can see some of do vary a lot in size. My question is: without digging any up, are they ready as well or have they some way to go and would benefit from a feed and water. They were planted on Nov 5th.
image.jpg
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 15:36 by Steveharford »

Salmo

Re: Eschalot Gris
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 19:33 »
Give them a good tug. If they are ready to lift they will come away easily. I have grown these for the first time this year. I lifted them about 10 dys ago.  Each plant seems to have a few good sized bulbs and lots of small ones.

Steveharford

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 20:55 »
Good point salmo. Why didnt I think of that, especially as I just lifted the Jermor and the clumps more or less fell apart. I will give them a go in the morning. My first time growing them too.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 16:04 »
Do you find the skins of echalot gris, french gray shallots, are quite tough. Mine are like leather and the kitchen is complaining, in fact I think the kitchen is secretly using Yellow moon in preferance to these "cheffy" ones.

Steveharford

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 17:44 »
I still haven't tried one yet tbh as they are still green so leaving them be untill they ripen and hopefully fatten up a bit. From what I've read elsewhere they do take a bit of peeling but it's worth it. Also the smaller sets produce fewer but bigger bulbs. That may be where my problem originates as the sets I planted were all large. Strange but true apparently. I will therefore be saving my smallest bulbs for replanting and see what happens next year.

Doc_D

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 20:00 »
Tried these for first time this year... They were going really well but flopped over early due to white rot. They had split into huge numbers, probably 15-20 per set, hence very small.  Ended up pickling as they are so very small, like large garlic cloves. Pretty teardrops in the jar though, I found leathery skin easier to peel than papery skin too!

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 28 queries.