Cous cous

• 25 Replies

Springlands

Cous cous
« on: July 12, 2013, 19:00 »
Does anyone have a nice recipe for flavouring cous cous - cold for salads preferably. Thank you.  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Cous cous
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:45 »
I make a version of tabbouleh at least once a week for lunch using bulgar wheat which has a slightly bigger grain and I like it better, no quantities I add what looks like "enough" but you want quite a lot of the veg through it.

Soak your grains per instruction and once plumped up, add chopped tomatoes, sliced or chunked cucumber, a few fairly finely sliced spring onions, a good handful or so of chopped mint leaves but you can use dried in the winter, handful of chopped coriander if you have but leave it out if not or if you don't like it, a sprinkle of sumac if you have it but don't worry if not. Season, it will need some salt but I always use the minimum necessary, pour a liberal amount of olive oil over it roughly a few tsps and add the juice of a lemon or lime. Mix well.

I find this better made in advance and allowed to infuse.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:28 »
Thank you Arugula - I have everything bar the coriander which I do not like - so will be making making it for with our dinner this evening. Mint and cukes from the garden - the way things are going I will only be using shop bought tomatoes this year. Might try it with bulgar wheat sometime.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:32 »
You're welcome. I forgot to add, as I don't have any just now ::), that you can add a handful of chopped parsley leaves too, if you like. :)

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:37 »
I was thinking about adding parsley instead of the coriander - mine is doing really well this year.

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 20:41 »
Well Arugula - OH really enjoyed the cous cous - so thank you for the suggestions. I will certainly make it again.  :)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 22:15 »
Try quinoa if you can find it (pronounced keen-wah). It's very nice and very easy with a high protein content rather than the starch of cous cous. It will take whatever flavours you add to it.

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 23:12 »
Thank you Triium - I will add that to my next on-line grocery order.  :)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:13 »
Well Arugula - OH really enjoyed the cous cous - so thank you for the suggestions. I will certainly make it again.  :)

That's good to hear Springlands, my OH really enjoys this dish too. :)

I might try quinoa one day. I always see it sitting beside the cous cous and bulgar wheat on the shelf and I'm always a bit unsure about trying it.. When Gillian McKeith had that programme on, she was always telling people to eat it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 17:05 »
It retains a slight 'bite' to its texture and is done when most of it is translucent, but otherwise is not so different from cous cous and doesn't have a weird taste etc.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 17:24 »
I often use some stock to flavour mine and sometimes a squeeze of orange/lime juice... :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 17:31 »
What I like about couscous or bulgar wheat is that you can soak them in just boiled water. I understand that quinoa needs to be cooked but would like to stand corrected on that fact..  :unsure:

tillyt

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 18:28 »
In addition to all the other ingredients suggested it is also lovely with chopped dried apricots, different colour peppers, sultanas and sundried tomatoes. I add lots of mint and parsley and this makes for a very colourful and flavoursome salad. As suggested previously it is better made the day before as the flavours infuse together.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 19:34 »
I can also add, as I forgot to mention, some cooked chicken meat as in roast leftovers chopped through it are very tasty. :D

Springlands

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 20:30 »
I can also add, as I forgot to mention, some cooked chicken meat as in roast leftovers chopped through it are very tasty. :D

In other words anything bar the kitchen sink.  :D

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 28 queries.