What do you think?

• 5 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
What do you think?
« on: July 11, 2013, 05:45 »
The chooks are changeing every day and looking well, though Silver has a depleted tail. When we were given them we were told it was a bit bolshy, but actually it is a clown and is picked on, possibly because of a deformed foot, so feathers on the hen house floor.

Our neighbour is quite impressed with them, but speaks only one word of English apart from football club names....chin chin! So won't commit to what he may think of their sex. I have my thoughts, OH has his. I hope I am wrong and he is right for once. :lol:
So, it's over to you lot. I can take more photos if needed.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:56 »
How old are they now Tosca?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:26 »
How old are they now Tosca?

I've no idea. The chap who gave me them was a bit vague and to be honest I didn't like to press as I didn't want to seem ungrateful that they were younger than I asked for. I had advertised for laying/point of lay, but even a novice like me could see they were young and going through a....how to be polite....not pretty stage. I am happy with how they have turned out and will be gutted if they are not hens. I'm thinking of the legbar type three. I have never seen these type before. Getting anxious. :( We gt them on June 11th and they still had some pin feathers.

Lovely neighbour reckons they are at least six weeks off laying. He doesn't say much but is adamant that it's September. :unsure:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:03 »
I would say from the photos that the three on the right of the first photo should be in lay or very soon in lay.  I can't see any sign of rooster tail feathers or the usual sergeant major wing positioning.  Hopefully they will all be laying soon but your neighbour will give you good advice as he will know the breeds.   ;)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 22:14 »
I would hazard a guess that all are female ! I also suspect your neighbors guess is right as he has local knowledge  :D
I cook therefore I grow

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 17:58 »
Pretty looking birds, whatever they are :)

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 27 queries.