Raised Bed Gardening

• 20 Replies

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
Re: Raised Bed Gardening
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 11:52 »
Got a few raised beds, great.

but to save much money i decided that rather than go for more formal raised beds in all their linearly wooden glory i dug all the path ways deeper, and dug around exisiting normal beds to give them more definition.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

seaside

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 16:43 »
One thing that does worry me about raised bed gardening is the effect on your back.
These beds are usually 3 to 4 feet wide. When digging the bed with a fork, one stands outside the bed presumably ? and lifts  soil a good 2 feet away from the body. Not a good idea at all. Normally one stands directly over the implement and digs directly down.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 16:52 »
Use a board across the bed if you need to dig  ::) The idea is not to have to dig as much (or at all? ) - simply loosening the soil with a fork - rather than actually digging  ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 16:54 »
I'm not sure how much this is 'what's done normally', but I stand on mine to dig them, working backwards so I don't tread on the area that's done. They are dug once a year, depth depending on enthusiasm.

Mine are raised more for drainage than anything else, and the clay seems to really benefit from being fluffed up, but my soil does seem to re-compact quite easily. I was very surprised at how hard the broad bed I didn't dig this spring was this week - I had to virtually jump on the spade in some bits to get it in (and I am built on stately lines!  :)).

Beetroot queen

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 16:55 »
I'm not sure how much this is 'what's done normally', but I stand on mine to dig them, working backwards so I don't tread on the area that's done. They are dug once a year, depth depending on enthusiasm.

Mine are raised more for drainage than anything else, and the clay seems to really benefit from being fluffed up, but my soil does seem to re-compact quite easily. I was very surprised at how hard the broad bed I didn't dig this spring was this week - I had to virtually jump on the spade in some bits to get it in (and I am built on stately lines!  :)).

We stand on them to do the big dig also working our way out of the bed

gedgemeister

• ......stand by your beds....!
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 21:00 »
Many thanks for all the comments, very helpful and I feel more positive than when I first posted this thread. I have 6 in total and room for another 3 8 x 4, but I'll wait until next season to install theose should my current lot prove successful.

xx
Raised bed gardening

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 20:21
by Jay Dubya
xx
I'm new to gardening

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
No dig gardening

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 19:09
by CARROTTCRUNCHER
xx
new to gardening...

Started by veggies on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 09:08
by veggies

Page created in 2.324 seconds with 30 queries.