Raised bed gardening

• 31 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Raised bed gardening
« on: July 07, 2009, 15:43 »
We get a lot of posts about growing in raised beds so I thought it might be a good idea to pool our collective knowledge on the subject.  All this wisdom could then be made into a sticky for the benefit of newcomers and veterans alike.

This is really a thread for those who already have or have ideas for gardening in this way.   It's not about debating the merits of said method.

Here's a list for starters.  Please share any tips, hints or disasters you may have experienced, with photos if possible.  Also, add things I have missed out. :)

Construction materials
Construction methods
Size and depth
Positioning
What soil/compost/manure
Pests
Veg that work well and those that dont
Spacing veg in the bed
Pathways between beds
How deep to fill
Using preservatives
Building on concrete base
Converting lawns to veg bed

All contributions will be very gratefully received. :)

Cheese makes everything better.

Roughlee Handled

Re: Raised bed gardening
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 20:11 »
Er well I know not allot about them. I do want to construct some later on this year.  I al am thinking of doing is gardening by the metre or yard/foot if your American and they should not be any wider that 4 ft.  I was planning on constructing mine from pressure treated decking as its cheep and EASY to move.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 20:17 »
Decking will work really well.  My first ever bed was made from reclaimed pallet wood.  It lasted a few years but is starting to rot.  My new ones are made frfom pressure treated gravel boards.

They used to contain a toxic chemical but it's been banned now.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 20:23 »
I have 3 beds each one is 11ft x 4ft. They are made from pallet wood, cos i can get that for free. At the moment only 1 pallet board deep, but will add another board as the beds fill with compost. The boards are joined together with cut pieces of board overlapped and screwed. At intervals pieces of tile baton are banged into the soil and the boards are screwed to that.
I had no choice for the positioning of them as they had to go at the far end of my garden. So by chance 2 run south to north, and the one at the side of the greenhouse is east to west.
I have a small patio behind the back bed and a row of paving slabs between the 2 beds on the r/hand side. The concrete garden path runs between the ends of these 2 beds and the third bed.
I just lifted the turf and dug the soil over, and added 2 bags of rooster booster (ready composted chicken manure and litter...but it's not pellets ::) ) The beds only get raised as the compost bin is emptied and all the pots at the end of the year. But the soil is already improving.
The only crop i've found to be a problem so far was earthing up 2 rows of potatoes! I will put the 2nd board up on next years potato bed, so i'm ready :lol:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 21:07 by mumofstig »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 20:30 »
How long have you had your pallet beds?  Mine are four years old and will need replacing next year.

I did the same as you when I liberated my lawn.  The turf was lifted and the soil dug over, topsoil, and some conditioner was then added depending on what I wanted to grow.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 20:37 »
I have one 4' by 6' constructed a week ago, filled with my compost the day later and now planted out with brassicas. The second is 8' by 2' , constructed on Saturday and will be filled with well rotted manure and compost and planted with, yes you have guessed right, Asparagus  :D

I will let you know what I learn along the way.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 20:41 »
What materials did you use Claireblues and how did you make them?

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 20:49 »
I used pressure treated planks for my beds, they're 12" in height and over 4' wide so have to take an occasional trip down the middle on a plank when planting (can hoe from the paths) .

They run North to South.

Brassicas have done fabulously, (in no small part due to it being easy to net raised beds) 
Broad beans terribly,
Have yet to lift any spuds so can't tell as yet (my first year growing).
Carrots and parsnips look splendid.
White onions good, red onions poor, shallots look good not sure about garlic.

Paths around 18" wide, I used the soil I dug up from the paths to fill up the beds along with straw and manure.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 21:03 »
How long have you had your pallet beds?  Mine are four years old and will need replacing next year.
I did the same as you when I liberated my lawn.  The turf was lifted and the soil dug over, topsoil, and some conditioner was then added depending on what I wanted to grow.
This is only their 2nd year, but i can already tell they won't last long, but they are free, so can't complain :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 21:07 »
It does seem that the optimum size is 4' wide by not much more than 10' long with a path 18" wide.  4' wide so you can reach the middle without standing or leaning on the bed to weed.  10' long so you avoid the temptation to step on the bed rather than go round.  18" paths so you can get a wheelbarrow down them.

Height is a matter of personal preference it seems.  Mine are 12" high and will get higher as I find bending and kneeling difficult.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 21:17 »
I have put in raised beds (much to the disgust of the old fellas who like their veg in long rows ::))

One tip I would share is this:

spreading netting is easier if you have something to attach it to, so having some uprights part way along will support the net.

The downside to this is that if you put your beds too close together they can become an obstacle to avoid with a wheelbarrow ::)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 21:18 »
Muddylou; that's some impressive bed system; I might just have to steal it ;)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 21:22 »
Does everyone plant closer together?  I put cabbages such as Hispi in at 9" spacing around.  In fact, everything goes in much closer together and at an equal distance all round.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 21:40 »
I tried with everything closer together last year and didn't get a good harvest :(
I don't think my soil has improved enough to support the extra demand of closer spacings yet.
I've had much better crops this year at 'normal' spacing....except lettuce which i've bunged into every available inch :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 21:45 »
Yes, the secret seems to be in getting the soil right.  If you plant at regular spacings you won't get as much crop as an allotment style plot.  What you lose on the paths you gain by the closer planting.

xx
Raised Bed Gardening

Started by gedgemeister on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post July 10, 2013, 21:00
by gedgemeister
xx
No dig gardening

Started by freckledbeck on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 07:57
by freckledbeck
xx
gardening

Started by ditchdigger on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 10:44
by gobs
xx
No dig gardening

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 22, 2018, 09:59
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.843 seconds with 38 queries.