so how many you got?

• 36 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
so how many you got?
« on: July 07, 2013, 21:11 »
We started off when the neighbour brought a bantam cock and hen round as a present for my little boy! never had chickens or the interest in keeping them, I have used this site to gain advice and hopefully knowledge! My hen/chick count is now 31!!!! I am not keeping them all I have had 18 chicks this week! I also had two other hens who were sitting and have since been kicked off the next, and 1 has gone missing assuming shes broody and gone hiding somewhere with a small bundle of eggs! (or hoping) that's what little hen did and turned up with 11 yesterday morning!

Finally getting the hang off what to do and when to do it, thanks to you guys! still need to be more bird confident though when trying to catch the darlings!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: so how many you got?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 23:28 »
9 hens, 13 chicks, 6 quail and about 32 quail chicks.   :unsure:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 00:10 »
1 cream legbar, 2 Bovans White, 1 bovans Amber, 1 Goldline, 1 white Sussex, 1 bluebell,  and 3 Black rocks,
11 in total.

Just waiting to win the lottery so we can buy a small holding and have lots and lots of chickens. And Alpacas and a pig.

But until then just 11.

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 00:32 »
1 cream legbar, 2 Bovans White, 1 bovans Amber, 1 Goldline, 1 white Sussex, 1 bluebell,  and 3 Black rocks,
11 in total.

Just waiting to win the lottery so we can buy a small holding and have lots and lots of chickens. And Alpacas and a pig.

But until then just 11.

I can only count 10 there!   :unsure:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 08:37 »
I had three in the UK, decided I 'needed' five here as they are not traditional laying hybrids, now we have two shumen hens and one cockerel on order so OH can breed them as an interest (rare breed) No doubt with a boy on the scene we will be increasing eventually.

Now, where are all the egg recipes? :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20 »
We've only got 10 Goldlines and 7 shaver blacks left now.  Bit different to when we had 300!  :ohmy:

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 09:23 »
No cockerals ANHBUC?? did you buy your fertile eggs??

You might find tosca100 that with your boy around you don't get too many eggs, I have 8 hens that could lay, but as they are either broody, raising or not laying I don't think Ive ever had 8 eggs a day, 4 is the max, but that's enough! I find I think oh I will give some away as we have lots and then they all go broody and then I have none :-(

Your chickens sound like a very colourful bunch Mrs Bee. :-)

WOW grannieAnnie 300 now that is lots of eggs!! were they still pets or did you eat them too?? I would like to see a pic of inside your converted shed if possible, I think I may be having a move around!

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 11:22 »
No cockerals ANHBUC?? did you buy your fertile eggs??

None at the moment, the last one is in the freezer!   :wub:

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:52 »
Started with 3 as pets, and seem to have added 3 every year since then. We now have 12 assorted hens and 1 exhausted cockerel!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 13:07 »
WOW grannieAnnie 300 now that is lots of eggs!! were they still pets or did you eat them too?? I would like to see a pic of inside your converted shed if possible, I think I may be having a move around!

I started off with day old hybrids to raise and sell at POL, but then we got into breeding a few pure breeds, we had RIR's LSussex, Indian Game, Araucanas and silkies, then we got a small flock of parent stock to produce the shaver blacks.  And we had our meat chicks and the Christmas turkeys. 

The shed that Brian enlarged to a 16 x 8 he made 4 partitions, half ply and half wire, that was where we kept the pure breeds, but our 17 layers are in there now.

The first 300 Amberlinks we got (I only ordered 125 as we'd never raised from day old before, but the hatchery got let down by someone for 500, so we took the 300.  They were going cheap!  :lol: :lol:) started life in the 6x4 shed that I'd prepared for the 125, but we hadt o hurry up and get the bigger shed ready for them as they were a bit crowded!  So then they ended up in the extended shed which was our goat shed, so they then had 6ft x 32 foot to run around in!  ;)

This is the 16x8 one as brian was building it, but not sure if I have a picture of it with all 4 partitions.
DSCF0029_renamed_31004.jpg
DSCF0030_renamed_16859.jpg
DSCF0036_renamed_25416.jpg
DSCF0039_renamed_1832.jpg

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 13:18 »
And these 2 are the little 6x4 shed that Brian altered to take the 10 nest boxes I bought, and the 7x5 shed that he doubled in size to make a bigger brooder shed for our babies!

He does have his uses! :lol:
6x4 shed3.jpg
6x4 shed2.jpg
new brooder 1 (480 x 360).jpg

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 13:24 »
I think I need to borrow Brian for a while GA, now where is that to do list?   :lol:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 13:34 »
I think I need to borrow Brian for a while GA, now where is that to do list?   :lol:

Let me know when you are on the way and I'll chain him up for you!  :lol: :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 14:05 »

Let me know when you are on the way and I'll chain him up for you!  :lol: :lol:

:ohmy:   :blush:

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 14:26 »
not brave enough for the culling lark yet ANHBUC, did you teach yourself or go on a course, had you always been ok about preparing food like that?? I was a city girl and couldn't even take the giblets out of a chicken when they are in a bag, but I am getting better!

Thanks GA that looks great, after you release Brian from ANHBUC do you fancy a weeks holiday?? in the sw of france!! I have 4 old gates around 2m each so was thinking about making something from them for our girls!

My 11 babies that we only saw Saturday look like they are developing combs already so prob lots of boys again!

Im going to post some pics later x
They are all tucked away due to the heat here today 32 in the shade phew!

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 37 queries.