petrol strimmer LiDL

• 37 Replies

Gwiz

Re: petrol strimmer LiDL
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 19:28 »
safety boots/eye/ear protection is a must.
Don't ever use it in shorts (you'd be surprised at how many people use these without leg protection, ie- long trousers)
You can get a helmet/visor/ear defender combined unit for around £25-ish, which is well worth the money I reckon. You might also consider gloves as it flippin well hurts if you get a stone hit your knuckles  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 22:51 »
Thanks Gwiz - definitely don't plan on using it in shorts (flying nettles, anyone?  :ohmy: ).  Thick jeans and proper arm covering too.

Where might that combined unit be found, and do they come in different sizes (being a small female ...  ::) )?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sparkyrog

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 22:57 »
Eagle plant hire do them as do most agricultural merchants ,possibly larger garden centers with a designated machinery shop  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Gwiz

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 19:35 »
Ta, both  :D

Went for the second one.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 19:44 by Yorkie »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 14:07 »
Finally got it out of the box this weekend.  It is solidly made, and very heavy  :ohmy: , hence the harness and strap it comes with.

Useful measuring canister for mixing the oil and petrol.

But it's an absolute nightmare to get started.  I couldn't manage it; it took my co-site secretary to do it, and I couldn't get it re-started later.  Gave up once I had a blister on my finger from pulling the string so much.  Don't know if I'm not pulling it fast enough, or what.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 20:39 »
Finally got it out of the box this weekend.  It is solidly made, and very heavy  :ohmy: , hence the harness and strap it comes with.

Useful measuring canister for mixing the oil and petrol.

But it's an absolute nightmare to get started.  I couldn't manage it; it took my co-site secretary to do it, and I couldn't get it re-started later.  Gave up once I had a blister on my finger from pulling the string so much.  Don't know if I'm not pulling it fast enough, or what.

Two Tips ! if it has a little plastic bubble on top of the carb pump it till full ! And also open the choke for two pulls even when its warm .never fails for me  :)

BobE

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 21:03 »
My Mantis was difficult until I found that rubber priming button.  Yorkie its probably described with the "How to start" instructions.  You did read them didn't you? :dry:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 22:27 »
Of course I read them!!  :lol:

As did a chap who was helping me.  :D

The instructions were pretty clear, yes we primed it 10 times as instructed.  The choke didn't look like the description, but we tried with it in both positions.  It said you should pull the cord gently until there was some resistance, then give it 4 sharp tugs without letting the string recoil uncontrollably.  It took my friend about 10-15 times to get it going the first time.

It's possible that we over flooded it (or something, can you tell I'm not technically minded), but it was so heavy and starting to rain, and the visor I had bought wasn't staying tightened so every time I bent over to attach the strimmer to the harness my visor slipped off  >:(

It just wasn't meant to be today, I guess.  Fingers crossed for the next time ...

Sparkyrog

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 22:37 »
Prime till its full never mind the count  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 22:42 »
Pretty sure it was full by about number 4, but I'll bear it in mind for the next time, thanks  :)

BobE

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 23:12 »
Yorkie, If you can't start that thing tomorrow then take it back to the shop.  Honestly, else it will end up at the back of the shed.  What is the point of it if you can't start it?  Ive got a battery strimmer.  Two batteries, each lasts 40 mins.  Little plastic blades.  Cuts everything down except brambles and hard stuff.  I long ago gave up on two stroke, even my Lambretta (In 1969!!) was rubbish to start.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 23:17 »
I have to agree with Bob if you can't use it its pointless keeping it ! However I will say most of my garden machinery is 2 stroke and I don't have a problem with it  :) Bob my mantis is 4 stroke  :tongue2:

BobE

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2013, 23:23 »
Sparky, My Mantis is also 4 stroke, but it has the same push button fuel primer button that you mentioned.  It starts easily with that and Ive had it for 3 years.  I was trying to reinforce your instructions.
She can get her money back.  All she has to do is say "It won't start".
It was £100 if I read earlier posts correctly.
My little battery one was much cheaper than that.  Its all I need for most stuff, especially grass.  Its even got a guard so you can do right up to the wood without destroying the blade.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 23:32 »
Thanks, guys.  We'll see what the next outing brings ...

xx
petrol strimmer

Started by flitwickone on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 09:38
by Flatcat
xx
Petrol Strimmer

Started by RookieJim on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 19:12
by smud6ie
xx
Petrol strimmer

Started by The Golden Heap on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 21:16
by bravemurphy
xx
Best Petrol Strimmer ?

Started by woodentop on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post July 14, 2017, 09:16
by Digger the Dog

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 29 queries.