my bread recipe for Beetroot Queen

• 17 Replies

grendel

my bread recipe for Beetroot Queen
« on: June 27, 2013, 18:37 »
ok here goes
take 400-420 ml of warm water in a jug
take 1 dessert spoon of milk powder (not necessary but it helps a crusty crust) put in bowl
add 4 dessert spoons of mixed seed (once again not necessary, this is for a multiseed loaf with lots of seed you can also use less or none) (I buy a bag of each of sunflower, pumpkin, poppy, linseed and any other seeds you want, then mix them in 2  ex coffee jars (I dont have a single jar big enough).
1 dessert spoon (level) of sugar is added to the jug of warm water.
2 dessert spoons of veg oil of choice is added to the bowl (put the dessert spoon to one side to mix the mix in the bowl later.
1 level teaspoon of salt is added to the bowl.
1/4 teaspoon of vitamin c powder is added to the bowl (this helps the wholemeal flower rise - not needed if you use all white)
1 1/2 teaspoons of dried yeast is added to the jug of warm water, and stirred (if you do this step last you only get one teaspoon dirty) leave the water / yeast / sugar a couple of minutes to get the yeast floating to the top (stir it before adding to the mix.
now add 2 cup measures of strong wholemeal bread flour and 2 cup measures of strong white bread flour to the bowl (while you are waiting for the yeast you can mix this roughly with the seeds oil and other bits)
when the yeast starts showing some activity, give it a stir and dump it in the bowl with the rest of the ingredients., use the dessert spoon to integrate the water into the mix, at some point it will start to clump, clean the dough off the spoon and now mix by hand (it may seem quite wet and sticky - this is correct) integrate all the dry flour from round the bowl and squash the dough into a ball, try and get all the loose bits incorporated.
now its time to flour a clean firm flat surface lightly and dump the ball of dough onto the clean floured surface (I use the glass cooker hob, cleaning / scraping it carefully so its spotless, but a good wooden pastry board works as long as you keep it floured.
now knead the ball of dough - this is basically squashing it and pushing away with the heel of your hand, bring your hand back, turning the dough through 90 degrees while doing so and repeat, do this until it is of an even texture, flouring your surface so it doesnt stick.
after 5-10 minutes you will see that the texture is quite even and while the dough is still quite sticky it doesnt seem to stick and separate bits off, it peels off evenly, now put back into the bowl, cover with a tea towel, and leave for 45 minutes to 1 hour until it is doubled in size (use a big bowl).
after 45 minutes (or an hour ) it will be doubled in size, give it a punch in the middle and you will see it deflate, now pop it back on your floured surface and knead it a few times more - slowly getting it the same length as your bread tin (or if you want just on a flat tray dont forget to smear a little oil in the bread tin paying attention to the corners, this will help getting the loaf out at the end) my bread tin is slightly big for this size loaf at 26 x 14 x 7 cm I dont get a very tall loaf.
anyway now you have it in the bread tin or on a flat tin, pop it in the oven (not turned on) uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour until it has doubled again, I pop a deep baking tray full of hot to boiling water in the bottom of the oven at the same time, this helps the bread to rise and will give a nice crusty loaf.
when it has doubled (or after 45 minutes if you are impatient) turn the oven on to 180 degrees (we have an electric fan oven) cook the bread for 35 minutes.
after 35 minutes, open the oven door (stand back and give the steam from the tray of water a chance to roll out and clear - otherwise its very hot if you are leaning over the door as you open it) take the loaf out. using 2 teatowels (one to gently hold the bread, the other for the tin) - turn the tin upside down, if everything has gone to plan you will have a loaf in one tea towelled hand and a hot tin in the other, if not you may need to run a blunt knife (pallet knife) down between the bread and the tin, to get it out.
tap the bottom of the loaf gently with your knuckle, it should sound hollow - this shows its cooked, if you want it extra crusty give it an extra 5 minutes cooking. place the loaf on a wire cooling rack (I cover it with a clean teatowel to keep the cats off - this can soften the crust slightly, if it is safe then leave it uncovered for a crustier crust.
There you go, that is my bread recipe, white bread is the same recipe minus the seeds and using all white flour, I even use the same recipe for pizza bases, no seeds, but added herbs and an extra spoon of oil.
Grendel
DSC01461 (Small).JPG
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Beetroot queen

Re: my bread recipe for Beetroot Queen
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 19:29 »
Thanks grendel

Will have a go, will skip milk powder For florence but i think she should be ok with seeds  :D

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 20:02 »
I'm not BQ, but thanks anyway
Anne

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 20:05 »
I'm not BQ, but thanks anyway

Nope there is one one BQ hehe grendel wont mind its only because i asked for it.  :D

grendel

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 22:23 »
the main thing is that it is wet enough, if you think its too wet its probably ok, though if you do get it too wet you end up with crumpet bread.

grendel

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 17:52 »
ok busy evening, as daughters boyfriend is here for the weekend we needed a white loaf, we still want our multiseeded loaf and to cap it off we decided on pizza  for tea. I thought as I went I would get some pictures to go with this thread. the white bread and pizza bases need less dough - generally the same recipe, but 3 cups of flour, and about 300 -325 ml of water. the white bread has no seeds, the pizza has added herbs of choice (thyme, oregano for us) and double the oil (4 dessert spoons) thats the only differences - Oh 3 cups with the pizza dough makes 3 baking tray sized pizzas. - pics later, the doughs are rising at the moment.
popped out earlier and a £2 block of mature cheese, plus a £1 pack of pepperoni, onion from the plot and a jar of dolmio sauce (2 for £3) add the cost of the flour and thats 3 decent sized pizzas for about £5, and tastier than dominos too (in my opinion).
Grendel

grendel

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 18:30 »
I only give the pizza dough a single 45 minute rise, pizzas are now prepared and in the oven cooking, they will take about 20-25 minutes, bread is on its second rise (on top of the oven as the pizzas are inside).
Grendel
DSC01462 (Small).JPG
DSC01463 (Small).JPG
DSC01464 (Small).JPG
DSC01465 (Small).JPG

grendel

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 18:31 »
pizza preperation.
DSC01467 (Small).JPG
DSC01468 (Small).JPG
DSC01469 (Small).JPG
DSC01470 (Small).JPG

grendel

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 18:33 »
bread rising, cooker top clean.
Grendel (pizza will be ready in 10 minutes now)
DSC01472 (Small).JPG
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 18:34 by grendel »

grendel

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 18:47 »
pizza cooked - oops slightly charred at the edge. half a pizza served at a time
Grendel
DSC01473 (Small).JPG
DSC01474 (Small).JPG

grendel

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 18:49 »
just over £1.80 a person for 3 people
Grendel

Beetroot queen

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 19:29 »
Grendel i will repeat my offer

MARRY ME  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My hubby is useless in the kitchen.  :unsure: looks amazing do you clean too.  :ohmy:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 19:40 »
Cumon BQ you wouldn't let anybody in your kitchen with you.  And if he did clean you would only do it all again!!

Be nice to have the option :lol: but you are probably right.  ::)

grendel

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 19:41 »
breads out, the multiseed didnt get enough of a rise before it went in, SWMBO is going out so things were a bit rushed to fit.
Grendel
DSC01475 (Small).JPG

grendel

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 19:44 »
Grendel i will repeat my offer

MARRY ME  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My hubby is useless in the kitchen.  :unsure: looks amazing do you clean too.  :ohmy:
only where I cook, the rest of the time I am jolly untidy.
Grendel
SWMBO =she who must be obeyed

xx
Bread Recipe

Started by teflon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 03:59
by nemie
xx
Focaccia Bread Recipe

Started by kezlou on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 20:50
by kezlou
xx
Wholemeal bread recipe

Started by snowdrops on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post April 10, 2020, 21:27
by mumofstig
xx
Wheatfree Bread Recipe

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 23:10
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 28 queries.