Carrot mystery

• 11 Replies

Beano

Carrot mystery
« on: June 25, 2013, 15:17 »
I wonder if anyone can tell me why my carrot seeds are not even germinating in our "carrot bed"
Around 4 years ago we built a raised bed for carrots. The first and second years were fantastic with loads carrots.
Last year and the year before have been hopeless. We tried this year and we are on the fourth packet of seeds, nothing. We sowed some in the veg. plot with other veg. and hay presto they have germinated within a week. I'm thinking, it must be the soil but I mixed some blood, fish and bone in at the beginning of the season thinking it might help and the veg. plot has blood, fish and bone mixed in.
What are we doing wrong?
Can anyone help?
Please!
El.

Springlands

Re: Carrot mystery
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 16:01 »
Brain - crops need to be rotated so that pests and diseases do not build up - also different crops take out different nutrients from the soil. The fact that you have managed to grow carrots in elsewhere suggests that the seeds are okay.

You should try growing something else in the carrot bed next year - peas or beans would be good. Alternatively you could change their compost/soil in the bed. In the meantime this year you could try growing some salad crops so that you at least get something out of the bed.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 16:15 »
i have 2 raised beds both 12ft by 4 ft and i rotate them each year so grow carrots every other year. Been doing it now for some time and its been going fine.   i also put manure every other year , the year i gorw carrots i dont put manure so its doen a year before..works for me

Beano

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 16:25 »
Thanks for the reply Springlands and J_B. We rotate the 4 veg plots we have but the carrot bed has been sieved to make sure that there aren't any stones. I will try something else in there this year now. Some leeks maybe, or a second crop of peas.
I could split the carrot bed in half and rotate like you do J_B.
So you both come to the conclusion that the lack of rotation is the problem then?

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 16:33 »
Yes - if you managed to grow carrots elsewhere it suggests that you really need to rotate what you grow in the carrot bed. Peas would be a good crop as they put nitrogen back into the soil.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 16:34 »
put in peas or any other legumes, drawf beans are good and manageable , also aliums or brassica ...mix it around

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 16:35 »
I cant get carrots to take on our plot at all, yet at home i have five black bins full of carrot seedlings. I have given up with them on the plot now.  ::) mind you the only difference is they have never grown on our plot, ever.  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 16:46 »
Are slugs cleaning the tiny seedlings off before you've even noticed that they've germinated?

Even if you don't rotate you usually get a crop even if it is poor, so don't really think that lack of rotation explains non germination  :wacko:

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 18:15 »
Are slugs cleaning the tiny seedlings off before you've even noticed that they've germinated?

I've put my "lack of germination" last year and this year down to this. The weeds germinated OK  ::) and I've tried different packets. I've finally got some germinated and have put pellets underneath the enviromesh as well as around the bed.

seaside

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 18:52 »
I too have come to the sad understanding that it's almost essential to put down a few slug pellets when sowing carrot seed outside. Slugs love the very small seedlings, and it doesn't take that many slugs to hoover up the very smallest seedlings over night. Like parsnip, they also don't like drying out very much.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 18:54 by seaside »

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 21:33 »
Yes slugs certainly like carrot seedlings,mine disappeared overnight when i first started growing them.
Try following leeks with carrots in your raised beds,the leeks roots break the soil down very nicely for the carrots.

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 23:20 »
I have found later sowings germinate better than early ones.  They don't like cold soil.  That might explain why your second crop came through.  Same thing happened to me this year and last and I re-sowed in the same bed, so not the seed or the soil causing the problem.

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
Mystery Veg...I think!

Started by Incy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 11:07
by BabbyAnn
xx
A bit of a mystery!

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 18:40
by elibump
xx
Mystery brassica

Started by Robert_S on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 20:03
by jazzbyrd

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 29 queries.