Feeding time?

• 9 Replies

gbrash

Feeding time?
« on: June 24, 2013, 18:42 »
Hi.. I've just got 4 hens and am a little concerned that I'm going to be overfeeding them. They have a enclosure  attached to their coop) which they are in during the day while I'm at work, and this enclosure has their feed (layers pellets) and water in it, so they have access to food all day. When I get home I let them out for a few hours to forage in an outer run - this run is pretty much an enclosed wild part of the garden so they spend their time rooting around and eating what they find (and when I'm out there I give them mixed seed from the hand). Question: should I be leaving food in their enclosure during the day? Will they get fat? Also, their droppings are quite runny and I was told that if they ate too much green, their eggshells would be very thin and they'd start pecking at them. How do you avoid this if they're part free range?? Thanks in advance!

Beetroot queen

Re: Feeding time?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 21:05 »
Mine have layers all day long and they seem okay, they have fresh water and grit too. I dont think chickens will over eat layers but i maybe wrong.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 21:13 »
no problems with the layers pellets that is the best way to do it ! but ensure they have access to grit and oyster shell ,the grit helps their digestion and the shell their shell making .
I cook therefore I grow

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 21:26 »
As said already they should have access to layers all the time as it has essential nutrients they need to help with egg production.  The grit is also a must as they have no teeth and need the grit to grind the food in their gizzard.  Green leafy vegetables are good for hens and help them to absorb calcium which is good for egg shell production. 

Make sure your hens have shade in their run as overheating can be a real problem.  They will drink more in the hot weather and when overheated so their poo can be runnier.  Have a look at the poo thread which will give you more idea what you need to look out for illness wise HERE   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 23:15 »
What will make chickens fat is too many unsuitable treats.  The are supposed to have their food around all day as they are browsers.  So dont worry about that bit!  Just keep treats to things like a small handful of corn each a day, maybe the occasional mealworm, fresh greens, an apple now and again.

But no scraps out of the kitchen!   ;) ;) ;)

millstock

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 00:20 »
Whatever treats you do feed them do it in the afternoon. That way you can be sure they have had a good fill of layers pellets before the treats during the morning.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:59 »
Have you wormed them? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

gbrash

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 20:09 »
Thanks for all the comments, all - I decided after reading all your thoughts that I'm probably worrying for nothing because I seemed to have covered all the bases (grit, pellets, etc), a theory that was proved correct when yesterday and then again today they laid their first eggs(hooray) - a little thin in places but that I understand is normal for their initial egg-laying attempts. Love the live mealworm idea so will pick some up next time I'm out and I've a veggie garden so always have fresh leftover leaves for them (they cant get enough rocket!).

@Sassy: I haven't wormed them yet, but will do. Just trying to decide if all the home remedies like garlic, cayenne pepper, apple cider vinegar etc work or if I should just go out and buy VermX or Flubenvet...!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 22:39 »
VermX is a preventative and is not proven to rid a bird of worms, flubenvet is a tried and tested way of worming poultry.   ;)

Mealworms are usually the dried ones and should only be given in small amounts.  They are reasonably priced in places like Home Bargains at around £1 per bag.   :)

gbrash

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 21:44 »
Ah ok - we've got dried mealworms which we normally feed to the robins, so will treat them every now and again. We only got them last weekend and I believe that the poultry dealer treated them (she said that we only needed to treat them in a couple of months) so I expect I'll buy VermX and act preventatively.

Thanks for the advice again. THey seem happy so I don't think we're doing anything too drastically wrong so far!

xx
Amount and time of feeding treats

Started by taz4711 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 08:14
by taz4711
xx
feeding

Started by slop jockey on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 21:15
by joyfull
xx
feeding

Started by traacyken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 14:26
by traacyken
xx
different way of feeding?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 09:56
by bubs

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 28 queries.