What and when do i sow to get some veg through winter?

• 6 Replies

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
What can i sow and when to get some veggies through the winter months..this is my first year of really giving it a ago and currently looks like im having some success with vairous beets, cabbage, onions etc and wouldnt mind some help/advice on what i should do to get some winter veg

Beetroot queen

Re: What and when do i sow to get some veg through winter?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:35 »
Johns what to sow list is great, i check in every few days incase i have forgotten something. We want some good winter veg so i am keeping an eye open. My swedes have been started so far but i cant remember when to do kale, i also have cabbage just on their first true leaves but i think i maybe wrong with my timings for those  :wacko:

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 14:27 »
Definitely Tuscany kale which I sew in July.

You might find this link helpful http://www.realseeds.co.uk/wintersowing.html

I also sew mizuna and oriental mustard in my polytunnel. I dont know if they need this protection or not.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 18:06 »
Another vote for kale from me. Didn't plant it one year and really missed it (might be getting a bit late to plant). Leeks are great too but probably too late to sow now but garden centres often have some ready for transplanting.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

seaside

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 18:55 »
Yes, kale and leeks are the favourites, as they are so reliable.
There are now purple sprouting broccolis that start cropping in the Autumn and go through to the Spring. I have some planted already, but you could probably sow them now and they would catch up, or alternatively buy a block of plants from a garden centre. Garden centres will shortly also be selling modules of Winter cabbages like January King.
Not sure if it's just 3 weeks late to sow swedes outdoors. Others will know.
Certainly not too late to sow some Autumn King carrots under fleece.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 19:05 by seaside »

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:05 »
Still plenty you could be sowing incl. beetroot, savoy cabbage, spring cauliflower (e.g: http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/brassica-and-leafy-green-seeds/cauliflower-winter-aalsmeer-spring/129TM), carrot, kohl rabi, leaf beet, purple sprouting broccoli (not the summer varieties), swede and turnip (for eating small) and, if you can get the plants from a nursery/garden centre, you still have time to plant out: brussels sprout,  cabbage,  cauliflower, celeriac, kale and leeks
Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 15:02 »
Over here, the larger seed suppliers list specific 'winter vegetables', ones that prefer and can tolerate winter cold unlike summer veg varieties that cannot. Go through the lists and see what your family likes.

Some varieties of carrots love to sit in the soil overwinter to sweeten up for harvest, same with parsnips, winter turnip greens (rather than the turnip itself), beet varieties for greens such as Bull's blood or Egyptian, lettuce such as winter density, claytonia, Mizuna (aka mustard greens), etc.

xx
winter kill temperatures of winter-hardy vegetables

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 11:40
by cc
xx
What can be sown now that can over winter or be harvested in winter?

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 13:29
by Y.E.A.H
xx
what to do over winter?

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 09:21
by sunshineband
xx
Winter veg

Started by greenmoor on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 00:36
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 29 queries.