Incubation - What is going on

• 15 Replies

splash101

Incubation - What is going on
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:36 »
The last lot of chicks I hatched were 2+ days late.

I've just been to my incubator to switch off the turning cradle and there's a blooming chick in there just hatched and others pipping. 2 days early.
Bet he feels like he's on a roller coaster with all the motion.

So much for the scientific theory, stop turning the eggs, up the humidity, do this, do that. Where there's a will, there's a way more like

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Incubation - What is going on
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:47 »
It is a bit of a lottery, my last lot were 2/3 days late and I lost some in the final days of development.  Some were a different breed but not all, so I will have to research what went wrong.  In February I had one hatch on day 18 and the rest day 19.

I have set 35 quail eggs and each article I read recommends different temperatures, humidity and some say no humidity at all.  Others no humidity for the first one/two days or none at all until hatch!   :wacko:  So I will just have to wait and see and make notes of what works for me.   ::) :lol:

Looking forward to your chick pics.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:53 »
I've never had so much unpredicatbility.

I leave the incubator at the same temp' for the quails as i do hens eggs and it works for me.  I normally get a great hatch rate for the quails, much better than hens eggs.

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:55 »
What temperature and humidity do you set them at?  My incubator has a humidity pump and is fully automatic as I would never remember to keep checking, turning etc.   :blush:

splash101

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:37 »
I have the temp' set between 37.4 - 37.6 probably nearer the top end which is in range for both the hens and quails eggs.
If it just quails that I'm doing, i space them out more so there is a good air flow around them as 37.6 is the minimum temp for quails. If you are going to pack them in more, I would adjust the temp for a bit higher. 37.6-37.8 is the range for quail
The only thing to look out for is fluctuating room temp's where the incubator is sitting. Warmer weather may cause problems rather than cooler weather.

I didnt opt to have the pump on mine but there are 2 water channels in the incubator.

I fill one channel and keep it topped up (usually every 2-3 days) all through incubation and then the evening before they are due to hatch, I fill both channels. Close the vent from 1/2 open to 1/3 open.

Thats as technical as it gets with the humidity. All as per the instructions with the incubator. No hygrometer required.

Because it works for me, I try not to change it.

When i was looking for an incubator i tried to get one that was very simple to set and use and this does it . Not cheep cheep cheap though

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 12:51 »
Thanks for that info, my incubator has a fan so I have set it at 37.5 and 45 RH.  What day do you stop turning the eggs?

splash101

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 15:09 »
What day do you stop turning the eggs?

I usually stop turning on day 19 if its a 21 day hatch. I also take out the bars that hold the eggs in place .

The day i put the eggs in, i count as day zero. I usually put them in in the evening anyway. This batch went in at noon.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 15:23 »
Sorry splash101, I meant your quail eggs as there is contradictory information online.

splash101

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 16:48 »
I do the same for the quails as i do for the chickens.

Stop turning 2 days before, same for the humidity as the chickens.

I've hatched them in with chicken eggs at the same time, theres been a couple of time where i've forgotten to turn off the turning device and they've been hatching with the incubator in full motion.

They always start pipping on the evening on day 16 and hatch on day 17. Almost certainly the eggs that havent hatched by the end of day 17 dont normally hatch at all. I still leave them in for a few days though.  You have to keep any eye on the membrane not drying out too much if some have been pipping a long time before they emerge. They seem to dry out quicker than chickens eggs.

I get between 94 - 96% hatch rate so it must be working. I'm also lucky that the eggs are super fertile and they dont cost me anything

Honestly, i dont do difficult or technical so when something works i stick to it. Sometimes you can overthink things and its best to just try it.

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 20:27 »
Thanks for the information.  I had to help one of my chicken chicks out as the membrane had dried out so I sprinkled it with a little pre boiled water to soften it up.  Then broke the membrane and left the chick to wriggle out, it is fine now.   :)

splash101

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 08:40 »
We've finished hatching now.

85% hatch rate  :)

60% cockerels which is not too bad in the great scheme of things. Could always be better, has some times been worse.

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 11:58 »
That is good news.  What day was the last chick to hatch, some have had them on day 25?

Looking forward to some pictures.   :)

splash101

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 12:59 »
Last chick was late last night. I've left the incubator on just in case but the eggs sound different when i tap them.

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 13:01 »
I meant how many days had it been in the incubator before it hatched?   ;)  Just for my info so I know when to give up.

splash101

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 13:08 »
doh!  :lol:

Day 21 which is normal but the others were 2 days early. I usually leave the incubator on until day 25

I knew 2 of the eggs wern't going to hatch but i thought the other one was a good one.
Theres no tiny chips or cracks at all yet but it might just be a late one. Its only day 22 now.

xx
Incubation Chart to Print

Started by kegs on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 12:06
by kegs

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 36 queries.