Everything dead or eaten!

• 13 Replies

sheridan

Everything dead or eaten!
« on: June 11, 2013, 20:39 »
In 5 days. 5 days! All my leeks, cabbage, spring onions, beetroot, beans, squash, brussells,  peas. All of it! And it was netted and weighted down too. I need a gun. Am seriously wondering if it will be worth planting anything else at all. The only thing left is gooseberries and that's because they aren't ripe.

Very angry face at rabbits.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: Everything dead or eaten!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 20:42 »
 :( :(

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 20:43 »
Oh no blooming bunnies have a lot to answer for.

Maybe worth asking if people have spares.

sheridan

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 20:45 »
I almost wept. I am lucky in that we live rurally and have nurseries that sell veg plugs for 10 for 10p for some things, even squash are only 20p, but it's still annoying! They were my babies! I suppose beans could go in again, but I think it's late for brussells.

I need ideas for very cheap very strong anti rabbit fencing. Standard chicken wire hasn't done it.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 21:58 »
What did you do with the chicken wire Sheridan?  Around here the farmers just put that orange temp fencing round the fields they want kept bunny free and its only about 18 inches high.

Also, if you put your rough location in your profile, you never know, you may find a forum member or 2 near you with spares too!     :)

R6robbo

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 22:14 »
I almost wept. I am lucky in that we live rurally and have nurseries that sell veg plugs for 10 for 10p for some things, even squash are only 20p, but it's still annoying! They were my babies! I suppose beans could go in again, but I think it's late for brussells.

I need ideas for very cheap very strong anti rabbit fencing. Standard chicken wire hasn't done it.

Did you bury the bottom 8-10 inches of the chicken wire in the ground flat so they
can,t dig down or under it? Or dig a trench along the bottom and fill with rubble/broken
glass etc, so they can,t dig.
If they haven't gone under they must have gone over so needs raising or you have gaps..

Best of luck with your next plantings and most importantly, don,t give in to em, you,ll
get there in the end!
After a 3 year wait i finally have my allotment. HELP! (2/10/11)

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 22:49 »
I must have put up miles of rabbit proof fencing when I worked in forestry. (the little bu***rs love young trees as well)

As Robbo says, you need to turn under the bottom nine inches or so on the outside and lay it flat with the soil then cover with turf or whatever.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 15:27 »
I am lucky in that we live rurally and have nurseries that sell veg plugs for 10 for 10p for some things, even squash are only 20p, but it's still annoying!

wow thats cheap @ 10p for 10 plugs....can i have some please....cnt believe i can get anywhere near that price in berkshire....if anyone knows where i can please tell me. tx

sheridan

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 17:34 »
I live in Fenland, home of the cheap plug plant!

I will have to dig the fence under as suggested, clearly the rabbits are clever little things. I think there is so much intensively farmed land round my way that the variety an allottment offers is irresistable....

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 18:14 »

Do you offer shipping at that price i'll put my order in :lol: not worth growing from seed when they are that cheap  :blink:

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 23:51 »
simular problem cabbage broccolli caulis brussels frenchbeans and me runners all down to a very now fat pheasant ...not happy :(

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 00:11 »
The one redeeming thing about rabbits is that thery taste great with stewmeat and chips!

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 00:59 »
Its soul destroyng isnt it! everythings doing well,growing by the day then wham! somethings malleted your stuff.
Ive got a plague of jackdaws and rooks round my chicken pens they are gonna die soon when i get my air rifle back.
Weve got wood pigeons stripping the brassicas,they started on mine so ive had to net them.
The rooks have been at my sweetcorn,i have to net peas from the jackdaws,i had rabbits last year.
I think it gets worse year on year now not many folk are knocking rook/crows/jackdaws/rabbits off,when i was a young lad in the 70s the rooks got blasted out their nests every year by lads with shotguns,not very nice but id like to see a few hundred knocked off round my way,im gonna make a start very soon there is far too many.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 09:25 »
I've got a rabbit warren in the tree line at the bottom of my garden, so I have an awful lot of rabbits. I just put chicken wire fencing around all my veggie beds and they've never touched any of it. They can't get through that.

xx
My grapevines look dead. I've just spent £30 on two dead sticks

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 19:59
by Jay Dubya
xx
Everything is being eaten...

Started by lewishamsarah on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 11:10
by GD
xx
What have you eaten??

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 20:57
by Ice
xx
onions being eaten

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 20, 2017, 13:09
by Enfield Glen

Page created in 0.729 seconds with 28 queries.