Plastic Chicken Houses......

• 6 Replies

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Plastic Chicken Houses......
« on: June 09, 2013, 14:55 »
I found a thread about this from June last year and wondered whether anyone had any updates on the various plastic houses available?

I'm looking at the Smart House from Solway Recycling, one from Durham Poultry they seem to make themselves, the large Chicken Loft from Green Frog Designs & the large Arkus house.

The Omlet Cube is not on the list as I can't find a way to get a mortgage on it....

Have wondered if there are any problems with condensation in the plasic houses or if people who have used them have any other thoughts (Arkus state they will work with you if you want something different - have just asked for a price for a free-standing grid on legs like a # which would create more perching variety & could be pulled straight out for floor cleaning).
ManicMum

Springlands

Re: Plastic Chicken Houses......
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 19:00 »
I can only comment on the Omlet Eglu - it is easy to clean and we have never had any trouble with condensation but we did feel that it was too small for the recommended number of hens. It is now used for our ducks to shelter in (perches removed) and we use a large wooden house for the hens.

Bren200

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 21:07 »
Hi, I am new to hen keeping. I have the solway smart hen house it is brillient lot's of room. Easy to clean. I have 7 hybrids in mine & they are happy in it too.

wynfra

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 15:48 »
Hi now august :( but I have bought an ARKUS plastic chicken coup 4 weeks ago, and love it and so do the girls. :D it is rerally easy to cleaN AND EXCELLENT INSULATION NO CONDENSATION!!! and it has been very warm. hope this helps. Best bit no  rad mites!!!!!

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 19:13 »
I did lots of research, looked at threads and recommendations on here and ordered a Solway Smart house. It arrived today, very helpful company, VERY easy to get in place. It comes mostly made and was simple to finish off. So far all seems great but not yet put the ladies in. I will install them after they are 'in bed' and then hope they are ok going to bed tomorrow night. The old cheap coop was a nightmare to construct, never fitted together properly, tray supposedly removable could never be removed for fear of it never going back in and there were gaps everywhere. A BAD buy. As I moved it forward to make room for new coop bits started falling off. I had planned to clean it and keep as a spare for emergencies but looks like it might have to be kindling :(
Can't wait for dark :) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 11:01 »
I agree Solway are extremely helpful (I even got my ark cheaper as I got an ex demo one) and delivery was next day. I would never ever go back to wooden poultry houses  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 12:25 »
I have the Solway standard hen house, it is fab. Well worth the money.

xx
plastic chicken houses

Started by kelsgirlsx on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 14:38
by nzdunn
xx
Plastic hen houses in winter

Started by outercircle on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 11:42
by evie2
xx
Advice on plastic hen houses

Started by Grumblepuss on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 11:56
by joyfull
xx
Cleaning chicken houses

Started by Stemar on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 02:49
by Cameron231

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 28 queries.