Sorry - Tomato shoots question!

• 11 Replies

itsallabouttheworms

Sorry - Tomato shoots question!
« on: June 07, 2013, 23:38 »
Hiya,

I'm fine pinching out sideshoots on my Red Cherry plants but my beefsteak and brandywine are confusing me.
There seem to be 2 main growing points...do I just pick one?  :unsure: There's the truss in the middle and then two big stems either side of it...
Not sure if this picture is clear enough... ::)
IMGP5920.JPG
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 23:39 by itsallabouttheworms »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Sorry - Tomato shoots question!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 23:40 »
I get that at times.  The main shoot splits doesn't it?  I usually take one off, but you can let them both grow, not sure if it would get too heavy that way though.

itsallabouttheworms

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 23:42 »
Yeah - the main shoot splits into 2...and then they both seem to form trusses and then I'm in a whole lot of tomatofusion ::) Mine are all pretty much doing that (not the red cherry), so I may do half and half...?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 23:53 »
We can only try these things to see what works best for us!  Good luck with them!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 05:43 »
If you let them both grow, the plant is trying to support more tomatoes and the size can be affected.

You also have the space issue and the problem of supporting both shoots, as you can't tie them up on the one support.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 08:30 »
My Rio Grande toms can never make up their mind whether they are cordon or bush and I tend to let just 2 stems grow and give them a cane each - like this
http://tomatolover.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Suttons-Double-Cordon.jpg

It can look strange when the plants divides higher up, but it works for me  ;) They do need a lot of watering and feed though ;)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 09:21 »
Our friend in the village only has a small greenhouse.  He puts about 9 tomato plants in there, doesn't know what variety they are and he never takes the side shoots off.

He gets lovely tomatoes and never gets any pests or disease problems.  Does he lead a charmed life do you think?   :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 09:40 »
I gave up trying to grow toms 'by the book' years ago ! If the plant is a convenient shape i let it grow but i do not hesitate to remove excess shoots or any branches or leaves that are in the way.
Letting the light in and allowing good ventilation is a good thing.
Toms are tough and can stand heavy pruning  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 14:15 »
My Rio Grande toms can never make up their mind whether they are cordon or bush and I tend to let just 2 stems grow and give them a cane each - like this
http://tomatolover.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Suttons-Double-Cordon.jpg
It can look strange when the plants divides higher up, but it works for me  ;) They do need a lot of watering and feed though ;)
Very useful, thanks Mum.   :)  I'm growing Rio Grande this year, I do love my plum toms!  :tongue2:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

itsallabouttheworms

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 14:55 »
Thanks GrannieAnnie - it's VERY exciting as a first year grower to see trusses forming...and starting to set. Looking forward to my first tomatoes soon~Just bought my organic feed too for when they have started to set.

Mumofstig - that's an awesome looking plant - I may do that with a couple myself...I've got 24 plants a lot of which are the bigguns, so I'd best choose one stem on most of them.

I do fear they'll grow too big and I'll have space issue like DD says - I'm borrowing the corner of a greenhouse so kind of tightly packed in as it is  :unsure:

Totty

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 15:21 »
One of those shoots looks lower, I'd remove it and treat it like a cordon. Many of the older varietys tend to do this, more so than the new f1s which seldom, if ever seem to do it. Some of the black prince plants I grew last year were chucking out leaf shoots that ended up with flowers on, then it would have trusses of flowers that decided to turn into a leaf stem. Books can only tell you so much, plants are individual and so often don't go by the rule book.

Totty

itsallabouttheworms

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 16:03 »
Yes, you're right, Totty: The right shoot is almost coming from the axis so I was considering taking that one out at first...and then I got confused.
Cool - I'll take that one out and see how I go with the others :-)
Cheers for the help!

xx
Tomato side shoots

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 11:17
by dereklane
xx
pinching out tomato shoots

Started by salmonking on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 31, 2013, 14:14
by J_B
xx
Tomato side shoots

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 23:47
by gillybee
xx
tomato shoots have got roots

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 19:15
by Rowan

Page created in 1.176 seconds with 38 queries.