• 12 Replies

johnfh

• Experienced Member
biodgradeable weed killers
« on: June 06, 2013, 14:40 »
s,
John

Hi
I am currently clearing a heavily weed infested site.
There appear to e 3 main chemicals that claim to do this and allow safe replanting within a day or 2.
What are you experiences of the relative merits and drawbacks of the following?
Roundup
Resolva
Weedol?
Or any others that you would recommend.  Time for renovating to follow is fairly important
Thanks,
John

John

snow white

Re: biodgradeable weed killers
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 15:12 »
Are you allowed to use them on site?  Ours doesn't.

stainesbloke

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 15:49 »
I used Roundup to initially clear my plot and it worked well. It is supposed to become inactive and quickly dissipate in soil. Killed the couch grass infestation!

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 16:19 »
I use Weedol max, if I have to.  Personally I wouldn't touch Roundup with a barge pole.  I'd rather dig the weeds out than use that.  Which, I hasten to add, I am doing :)

Edit to add:  I have just inherited another half plot which is akin to the Amazon rain forest.  Cleared the area of bushes etc and have now covered the entire plot with thick 100gm Weed membrane, so that I can give myself time in clearing it at my pace. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 16:22 by Armleywhite »

m1ckz

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 17:03 »
i find roundup good,,,,BUT   you need to use it properly

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 17:12 »
Weedol / Weedol max contains only fatty acids as an active ingredient.

Roundup is a brand name for one of the many weedkillers which contain glyphosate.  There are other, cheaper brands although it is worth comparing strengths of the different ones available.  This chemical is absorbed into the system of the plant and taken down to the roots.  It is inactive upon contact with the soil so no replant delay.  You just need to allow a couple of weeks for it to work properly.

Resolva generally contains both glyphosate and diquat.  I believe that the diquat shows its effects within 24h, so you know if you've missed any bits.  I also believe that there is no replant delay, as for any simple glyphosate based weedkiller.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 17:16 »
I agree with Yorkie.

Weedol is only useful to burn off top growth and that could also be done with a hoe or rotavator.  Perennial weeds need to be dug out or killed with a weed killer that translocates to the roots, like glyphosate.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 13:35 »
good advise,,,,anything to remove couch grass

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 18:40 »
I use Weedol max, if I have to.  Personally I wouldn't touch Roundup with a barge pole.  I'd rather dig the weeds out than use that.  Which, I hasten to add, I am doing :)

Edit to add:  I have just inherited another half plot which is akin to the Amazon rain forest.  Cleared the area of bushes etc and have now covered the entire plot with thick 100gm Weed membrane, so that I can give myself time in clearing it at my pace.

any particular reason for not using roundup?

Kirpi

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 19:33 »
I used roundup on bindweed which was strngling my raspberry canes. Inevitably the odd raspberry leaf caught some roundup and that was enough to kill a good number of my canes and even this year's new growth is looking sick on some plants.

I wouldn't use it now as it did more damage than if I had left the bindweed and pulled it from ground level, leaving it to die off on the canes.

Elaine G

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 23:50 »
Our site rep did a little evening lecture. Some of the things he said I knew you guys on here disagreed with  :lol:
But one of the things he said was to never use roundup near raspberries.
Seems he may have been correct there.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 05:45 »
I used roundup on bindweed which was strngling my raspberry canes. Inevitably the odd raspberry leaf caught some roundup and that was enough to kill a good number of my canes and even this year's new growth is looking sick on some plants.

I wouldn't use it now as it did more damage than if I had left the bindweed and pulled it from ground level, leaving it to die off on the canes.

That is a user fault and the product can't be blamed!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kirpi

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 07:35 »
I agree DD - my stupid fault.

My point for making the post was that not only had the glyphosphate touched just a very few raspberry leaves and that was enough to kill off the canes for that year, but it also has affected the new growth for this year so glyphosphate has far reaching consequences.

I still wouldn't use the product ever again due to the recent health findings from scientific research on this product. See Friends of the Earth; Glyphosphate.

xx
weed killers

Started by acer on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 14:23
by simonwatson
xx
Weed killers

Started by rsindigo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 18:57
by mumofstig
xx
weed killers

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 12:02
by savbo
xx
weed killers and there pitfalls

Started by NO GREEN FINGERS on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 17:29
by NO GREEN FINGERS

Page created in 1.222 seconds with 28 queries.