Installing electric in a greenhouse

• 26 Replies

Martin70

Installing electric in a greenhouse
« on: June 06, 2013, 14:06 »
Well with the start to the year we've had I am considering getting an electric supply in ready for next year. My greenhouse is about 9 feet from the kitchen. I have read that an electrician needs to have a certain qualification to install this but was wondering if anyone has done it recently and roughly what kind of money I would be looking at as far as getting the supply done? I'll worry about what actually goes into it later on.

Thanks for any help.

Yana

Re: Installing electric in a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 14:17 »
Not that I know the answer Martin, but I had thought about putting electricity in my greenhouse and went for solar powered lights instead. Great if the sun shines!! Having said that, they have been fully charged this week.  :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 15:01 »
A lot of that will depend on how you want the feed to the greenhouse run and what you want to power in there.  I can't imagine you'll get a sparky to do it for less than a days graft - the going rate varies dramatically on where you are in the country. 

smud6ie

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 15:45 »
I havn'nt looked at what is involved but my Daughter has just bought one of these for me to put lecky in her shed .
smud6ie

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 15:56 »
I've got an outdoor extension cable to run to mine this year as it's only about 15 feet away from the kitchen, and I think as long as I use a proper fully-shielded socket in there I should be ok.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

grendel

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 17:27 »
dont forget the rcd trip at the greenhouse end. my shed is wired via a rcd trip plugged into a socket in the kitchen by the back door (its an industrial rcd that would be on a wall outside to provide a socket to plug into). by plugging it into a socket its technically not a wired in circuit, but I got the electrical designers at work to vet it for safety anyway. they were the ones that recomended another rcd trip at the shed end as its about 12m along the wire to the end, this can slow the response of the rcd in the house end.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 07:08 »
If you put the RCD In the G/H the cable supplying it will not be protected. I would put the RCD in the House and run an swa cable to the G/H And connect it to a twin weatherproof socket outlet. The RCD must be rated at 30ma. If i was to do this installation it would cost £35 for the RCD £20 for a decent Weatherproof socket £30 fot the swa and glands and £150 for labour. It will not be cheap.

Martin70

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:49 »
Thanks guys. I'll need to weigh this up a bit I think - not so much due to cost but it obviously has to be extremely safe too. Now I've come in from watering this morning and seen how they are growing it doesn't seem such a big deal again  :tongue2:

grendel

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 09:02 »
If you put the RCD In the G/H the cable supplying it will not be protected. I would put the RCD in the House and run an swa cable to the G/H And connect it to a twin weatherproof socket outlet. The RCD must be rated at 30ma. If i was to do this installation it would cost £35 for the RCD £20 for a decent Weatherproof socket £30 fot the swa and glands and £150 for labour. It will not be cheap.
which is why we have one at the house end and another at the shed end, apparently its something to do with the added resistance of the earth over the length of the cable that can cause the remote rcd to trip slower.
Grendel

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:46 »

Your price sounds about right. I've just had power run into an aviary shed from the fuseboard where the supply is on its own trip, via an over-head armoured cable into a consumer unit in the shed (more trips / rcd). The two double sockets are waterproof out lets. I have one light with pull cord.

Worth having done properly and safely. Too late to have regrets after the big bang!!  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

fatcat1955

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 13:40 »
Having 2 RCD's is a complete waste of money. The calculation should be done first to determine the minimum csa of the cable to ensure you do not exceed the earth loop impedance for that circuit.  Also if the g/h is quite a distance awaw you must not run an earth from the origin but install a RCD in the g/h and drive in earth rod's to attain the desired reading. Trust me i am a plumber. Not really.

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 00:00 »
 I used blue water piping underground and wire, just put a plug on the end and drill hole though wall near plug and plug in. Mastic around hole. Sorted.
Kind Regards
Bill

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 00:16 »
I used blue water piping underground and wire, just put a plug on the end and drill hole though wall near plug and plug in. Mastic around hole. Sorted.

Years ago, whe I was a plumber, that's just about what I would do.  ;)

fatcat1955

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 07:13 »

Years ago, whe I was a plumber, that's just about what I would do.  ;)
Oh no no no . Break's all regulation's. Must be a minimum of 500mm deep bedded in sand with tile's or tape above indicating Buried Live Cable. Being Outside It must be connected to a maximum 30ma RCD . Also blue pipe is not recommended as it is the European colour for water.

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 12:29 »
Don't panic on my account fatcat1955. These days I really am a good plumber  :lol:

I don't touch the stuff and always call in the experts (despite the cost) as I know then we're safe and not upsetting any one at the EEC.  :wacko:

xx
Electric saws

Started by Celtic Eagle on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 16:46
by siandc
xx
electric propagators

Started by LILLILEAF on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post December 26, 2016, 18:33
by Paul Plots
xx
electric propagators

Started by ilan on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 09:50
by Lawrence
xx
electric propagator

Started by Stevens706 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2006, 13:12
by Stevens706

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 28 queries.