Chicks in Brooder

• 4 Replies

Prod

Chicks in Brooder
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:16 »
I bought some 2 day old Legbar chicks to put in a new brooder, and some 7 week old Leghorns. The Leghorns are outside in a covered run and have their small coop (converted rabbit hutch (hutch and run cost £5 from tip!!!)) where I put them away at night. They are on growers pellets and seem very content. The Legbars are now 3 1/2 weeks old and I have had them in the brooder with the light on 24hrs.  This week though, as it has been very warm,  I turned the light off during the day and moved them closer to the open shed door. Is this OK??  How much longer do I need to keep them in the brooder and when can I remove the matting (the one that helps stop their legs splaying) Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Chicks in Brooder
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:10 »
I only used to keep the matting in the brooder for the first week until their legs are strong enough to hold them. 

Even though it has been warmer during the day, just be sure they can't get a draft from the open door.  Does the brooder have solid sides on it or just mesh? 

Watch them carefully.  If they are huddled together in a corner at all they are too cold, but if they are happily running around, then they should be okay.

You could, at that age, let them have a little run in the garden on nice warm days, but make sure they are tucked up nice and warm at night.  Keep the night time heat on them for another week.  Ours would come out of the brooder at 5-6 weeks depending on the weather.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:52 »
Thanks....  the brooder is has solid sides with air vents  I ll make sure they are not in a  draft. It has gone cooler today  but if it gets as warm as yesterday I might put them outside for a bit, will they be ok in with the Leghorns??

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:09 »
You would have to try them together and watch like a hawk for any major problems.  You can expect the odd peck but anything more serious take them straight out.

Do watch out for birds of prey as they are looking for an easy meal at the moment.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 13:06 »
Thanks The run is wooden framed about 1 1/2 mtr x 1 mtr  and 50cm high. It has welded mesh and two hinged lids  so it is pretty secure (worth a fiver on it's own!!!!)

xx
can chicks share the brooder

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 06:20
by needssomehelp
question
chicks too big for brooder cage

Started by hjobri2 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2010, 22:57
by hjobri2
xx
brooder size for two chicks

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 12:53
by nic_28
xx
Can I use newspaper in the brooder area now the chicks are over 2 weeks old?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 14:14
by splash101

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 28 queries.