germinating pumpkin/squash

• 9 Replies

bravemurphy

germinating pumpkin/squash
« on: May 31, 2013, 22:47 »
Never had so much trouble doing this.

This is the second batch now and from the first I have had 7 out of 40 come up and from the second lot have had 0 from 28.

The second batch have been in for 18 days I am really confused cos it is just not happening.

I am using levington compost and took a look at some tonight and they are rotted again.

anyone got any ideas please?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 00:52 by DD. »

seaside

Re: germanating pumpkin/squash
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 22:53 »
Inferior seed, overwatering, or bad luck.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 22:59 »
May be worth chitting them first.  Wrap in damp tissue and stick them in a poly bag somewhere warm.  I had the same problem last year (think I was over watering them) but it's worked well for me and now I have 64 mixed squashes/cues etc... :ohmy: ::) :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 23:27 »
Hello Auntie M!  I agree that conditions may be too cold particularly this year.  I planted lots of various squash seeds last weekend  ;).  I am impatient and thought I would have seen something happening by Thursday.  Had a little furtle and the seeds were still there, starting to swell.  So, in the absence of a heated propagator (yet!) I placed the trays on a couple of warm, hot water bottles, partially covered the trays and placed them on a sunny window sill Thursday eve.  Voila!  They have started to germinate today and I can see the soil being moved by those seeds that have not yet broken the surface.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 23:41 »
It's amazing what a little warmth will do isn't it Maxi?  :)  Most of mine only took two days to chit and then a few days after potting up they were breaking the surface!  Now i've just got to figure out how many I can get in the garden!  :D

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 23:50 »
Aye. A little bit of mollycoddling does no end of good  :D 

mjw

• wychbury road allotments
Re: germinating pumpkin/squash
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 08:28 »
I have used some jiffy 7 pellets, seem to have good germination rates and they are good because you can put them directly into the propagator and they don't take up much space.  Simply transfer to pots in the greenhouse when they have germinated.

madcat

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 10:34 »
I'm having trouble this year too ...  normally no problem and too many plants but they just arent getting going.   :(Sulking and staying in bed like teenagers!   ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 10:51 »
I had some germinate early on with very strange leaves or one that grew in a loop but no end to the loop. They all hit the compost. I have spagetti squash that have just come through lovely, well 8 out of 9 have and they are growing under your eyes. Not sure if they will be too late though to catch up.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 10:57 »
My germination has been very slow this year. I planted about 150 seeds of various varieties, Butternut Squash for example is still popping up a month after sowing.

xx
Squash/pumpkin

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 08, 2009, 22:52
by Sir Growalot
xx
pumpkin/squash not very big at all!

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 19:02
by Zak the Rabbit
clip
Squash or pumpkin ?

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2014, 21:30
by fatbelly
xx
Pumpkin? Squash?

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 20:10
by NickoV

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 30 queries.