Calabrese and Broccoli

• 7 Replies

Flowertot

Calabrese and Broccoli
« on: May 26, 2013, 15:04 »
This is my first year growing Calabrese and Broccoli (Early Purple Srouting) on the allotment.  How far apart should I plant them for best results?  The books /sites i have looked at give ranges of 30cm to as much as 90cm  :wacko: Presumably Calabrese doesn't get as big and so can be planted closer?  Do I need to stake them and, if so, would I do that when I plant them out or later when they are bigger?  All help appreciated. ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Calabrese and Broccoli
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 15:22 »
Calabrese is Italian sprouting broccoli. In effect  they are the same thing they just produce their spears at different times.
John's advice for Calabrese is here
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/calabrese/index.php

You won't go wrong growing them at the same spacing as they can both grow into big plants.

Flowertot

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 22:58 »
Thanks. I'll aim for about 45-60cm for both then.  So I don't need to stake them?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 22:59 »
If they get very tall and start rocking in the wind, it might be worth putting canes in.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 07:21 »
Watch out for slugs as well! They wander all over the forming heads, and make them look pretty nasty!

Also, there will certainly be a few caterpillers munching their way through the heads, especially the calabrese, so keep an eye on them as well. When you pick the heads, it's worth soaking them in salt water to get the blighters out!

Apart from that, (sorry to sound so doomladen, but it's personal experience..;0) you'll probably get a superb crop, and if you're like us here, you'll have far more than you need - even in the lean months like about now!

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:36 »
I second Growster on the slug issue.  Its my first year of growing both cabbages and calabrese having got ourselves a netted tunnel.  Waste of time without some sort of netting.  Anyway, having protected the plants from birds and other nibbly creatures the slugs ADORE brassicas!  Though strangely they seem to prefer the hispi cabbage to the calabrese! I have gone all out with collars, egg shells, beer traps and then finally a few pellets right next to the base of the plants if a slug DARES to come that far  >:( >:( >:(.  They still have been nibbled at slightly on the outer leaves but WE WILL have cabbage and calabrese if its the last thing I do!! 

Flowertot

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 20:06 »
Thanks for all the tips.  :). They were planted out today and appear to be in prison - they have collars and slug pellets around them and are netted :ohmy: Please grow now little things!

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:56 »
Ah well done.  You must visit your little plant babies in prison often and talk nicely to them too.  We were at the plot on Sunday - my little boy heard me chatting away in the netted tunnel and said 'who is in there with you? who are you talking to?'.  'The cabbages' I said.  He just sighed and  ::).  He caught me doing the same to the cuke's the day before......

xx
Broccoli or Calabrese?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 21:43
by Gandan57
xx
calabrese broccoli

Started by ian.ford on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 14:24
by Aunt Sally
xx
Broccoli or Calabrese?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 14, 2020, 17:07
by rowlandwells
xx
calabrese or broccoli

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 05:55
by DD.

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 30 queries.