Strawberries

• 3 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Strawberries
« on: May 22, 2013, 20:48 »
Hi everyone, I bought about six strawberry plants and planted them about a month ago.  They each have flowers on and a few green strawberries which are continuing to grow.  But there doesnt seem to have been a significant growth in terms of foliage and there are no runners.  Is this normal? When would you expect runners to be produced?

Thanks!

Beetroot queen

Re: Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 20:53 »
Hi everyone, I bought about six strawberry plants and planted them about a month ago.  They each have flowers on and a few green strawberries which are continuing to grow.  But there doesnt seem to have been a significant growth in terms of foliage and there are no runners.  Is this normal? When would you expect runners to be produced?

Thanks!

Runners are meant to be picked off in the first year and it's too early yet, give them a chance to get their feet dirty. Mine are dripping in flowers and doing lovely but they have been in for a few years.

grendel

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 21:03 »
most of the pound shop ones I bought seem to have died, but the ones transferred from the plot are doing well, the ones from seed are about 1/2 " high now, 7 from 30 seeds.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 20:38 »
Runners grow towards the end of summer and can be harvested around August/September. You can plant them straight out in their new bed or pot them up, throw them outside for winter and plant out in spring. "They" say you should remove half the flowers and all the runners in first year but hey.... you can cheat a bit!! I have taken some runners from first year plants and they had a great next crop. Just don't go overboard. one or two per plant then snip the rest off. Growth is really rapid and you will find they will grow at the same time as the flowers/fruit is being produced. I put some Loran and Fragoo  last year and same thing - quick to flower but slow to grow.. this year they are flying with real good growth. Also got some runners off them so i doubled my bed in a few months.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
strawberries

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 20:56
by digalotty
xx
strawberries

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 21:37
by muntjac
xx
Strawberries

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 24, 2015, 18:34
by green_lolly
xx
strawberries again

Started by scotty on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 10:18
by scotty

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 30 queries.