Staking Fruit Trees

• 6 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Staking Fruit Trees
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:30 »
Hi,

About a month ago I bought a month ago I bought and planted a semi drawf concorde pear tree.  It stands about 4 foot or so off the ground and looks fairly sturdy - should I have put a stake with it?

I also planted victoria plum tree, which is taller than the pear tree but seems to have a thinner body and stems.  Its stands about 6 foot.  Once again I did not put a stake in the ground.  Do I need to and is it too late, given that if I drive a stake into the ground next to it it could damage the roots.

Finally, I have also bought but not yet planted a Braeburn apple tree, which is thinnish like the plum tree and quite tall, above 6 foot, though I believe it is actually semi-drawf.  Should I plant this with  stake and if so, how thick should it be, should it be next to it or at an angle. And if next to it, do I eventually just saw i down as opposed to pulling it out?  If pulled out one day would this damage the roots.

Thanks a lot!

simonwatson

Re: Staking Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:45 »
I tend to follow the advice from the Keepers Nursery website when it comes to staking.

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/rootstocks.aspx?fruittype=

Putting a stake in now will probably go through a root or two, but it's not going to cause a problem, there's lots of roots down there. I use 50mm stakes for ones that are supposed to be in for a few years and tend to go for something pressure treated and a bit thicker for permanent stakes.

As for taking out the stake, if you can pull it out then there's no roots growing through it so you won't be causing any damage. If you can't, then just cut it off as low as you can.

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:18 »
I was led to believe that by not using a stake you make the roots stronger. The tree senses that it is being buffeted by wind so send's it's root's down further.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 09:29 »
I've been researching this a bit for my new fruit trees - according to the various orchard sites temporary stakes go in at a 45 degree angle, permanent stakes are vertical.

Do you know what rootstocks the trees are on? It depends very much on the rootstock which stake you need, and to some extent whether they were bare-root or container grown.

This is a really helpful article too: http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/articles/staking-fruit-trees

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 14:16 »
I've planted many fruit trees in my time, and my experience says that young trees really benefit from having stakes for at least a few years. Mostly, it keeps them from tipping over in heavy wet weather (I currently have several of these leaning at 45 degrees because we forgot to put in stakes) and it helps avoid trunk snapping in high winds.

You never want to brace the tree so tightly that there's no sway or it will definitely snap in strong wind, you just need some support until the trunk is about 2" thick and can likely support itself. 2-3 stakes around the tree are superior to just one stake, and these don't have to be all that close to the trunk.

BTW, recently planted fruit trees have not yet spread out their roots so there's no danger adding stakes after the fact. It's the more mature, eg 4-5 year old trees, that can have their roots damaged by new stakes added.

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 18:36 »
Hi everyone, thanks for the advice, though I am a little confused now.  To clarify, I have:

# a Concorde Pear already planted about a month ago, 4 footish, semi-drawf, seems quite sturdy and no stake.  Was in a pot when I bought it
# a victoria plum (not a drawf and also not a semi drawf) 5 or 6 foot, quite thin, planted a few weeks ago and no stake.  Was not in a pot, just bare roots
# a Braeburn apple, still in a pot, bought a few days ago, semi-drawf, long upright thin branches, stands over 6 foot, not in the ground yet

What types of stakes should i use, should I put them 45 degrees, or just one vertical, or several vertical?
How should I tie them to the stake?

Thanks for all your help.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 19:07 »
For each of them I would use a stake at 45 degrees, top end pointing into the prevailing wind direction, attached to the tree with a tie (stops the bark rubbing on the stake) at about the 3' height.

These stakes are recommended for about 2 years max, I think.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 37 queries.