New Grower In Desperate need of some advice

• 7 Replies

UrbanGrower

New Grower In Desperate need of some advice
« on: May 17, 2013, 10:58 »
Hey All

It's great to be part of this online community. Another first for me. I don't have an allotment but I am turning my balcony into growing hive (well if the sun came out I would). So at present most things are getting too large for their pots on various window sills!!

I don't know if I'm being paranoid but I am a little concerned about some of my veg. My Courgettes started off really strong and have plenty of leaves and trailing all over the place. However their first set of leaves and the odd newer leaf have curled, mouldy looking edges. The rest of the plant looks bright green and strong with many other little leaves looking ready to form. I wasn't sure if this was something to be concerned about or maybe they are too moist (being in the kitchen) with not enough full sun (being in the UK at present).

So i haven't been freaking out too much about that, but this morning I noticed some reddy brown spots on the soil of the plant and now thinking this might be serious. especially as the roots are so close to the surface (I realise they are ready to plant out but as my balcony is west facing and its been so cold and windy I'm too scared to do it yet)

Also my cucumber looks very sad. Both leaves have big white mouldy patches through the leaf. I'm thinking maybe their isn't enough air circulation in the kitchen and when I cook it gets quite steamy. There is another leaf coming through though so not sure to leave it and will it cure itself. Or remove the mouldy looking item from the plant...

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated its started to keep me up at night!

Thank again

Mum2mj

Re: New Grower In Desperate need of some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 14:26 »
Hi & welcome :) I'm in the process of getting a plot but you can grow a lot in small spaces. Do you have pictures? I'm sure someone will be along soon with some good advice for ya  :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 14:27 by Mum2mj »

Stree

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 14:36 »
Sounds like a humidity problem. They want fresh air but not a breeze or draught. Cut off the affected worst leaves and burn or dispose of in  the bin. Add some barely moist compost where the roots are showing.
Not enough light either.
To maximise sunlight make a back-screen reflector, just some kitchen foil shiny side out behind the plants so the sunlight bounces back onto them. Stick some on empty cereal packets , use whatever you can think of.
Sow a few more seeds just in case, its not too late, you might lose this lot.
Try and move them away from the humidity, even close the curtain whilst you are making it steamy, protect them however you can.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 15:29 by Stree »

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 14:42 »
See, told you   :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 18:49 »
A piccie would be really useful  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

UrbanGrower

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 23:30 »
Thanks so much for the advice,  I will try all the above. And will take some photos in the morning.
There not dying without a massive fight from me! Even if that means salads till the weathers better!

UrbanGrower

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 13:43 »
 Hi ya

I've got some pictures to go with my post. Brought my tin foil and will start removing the ill looking leaves. Do I need to cut them in any particular way to cause less stress to the plant?

Thanks again

courgette leaf (with red spots on soil).jpg
courgette first leaves.jpg
red spots on courgette soil.jpg

Stree

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 15:35 »
That soil looks too wet. moist but not saturated is how you want it.
Cut the leaves cleanly with a new blade, stanley knife or razor blade is ideal, close to the stalk.
Not sure about the red spots, might be a mould or fungus from being so wet. Sprinkle dry compost an inch or two deep and gently firm down with your palm to soak up the surface water and well into the exposed roots.
Looks like its about ready for the next size pot up as well.
Good luck

wink
New to this and desperate for advice

Started by Hungerfordlass on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 11:24
by goodegg
xx
Novice veg grower - advice please!

Started by HLT on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 11:58
by compostqueen
clip
New Artichoke Grower - advice needed

Started by alricjohn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2020, 18:39
by mumofstig
xx
Advice for novice Rhubarb grower

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 09:32
by noshed

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 30 queries.