Spectacular veggie recipe needed

• 67 Replies

WG.

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 22:42 »
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"
Quote from: "WG."
Boiled beetroot served cold with corn tortillas, sour cream, refried beans, tomato salsa and fresh lime wedges.

Refried beans are best with lard but a veggie substitute would work.
I like where you are going with that WG.  I absoultely love refried beans and chillies.
Have made it several times after first being served it as "peasant's food" at my friend's parents in rural Mexico.  Everything was hand-made by his Mum, of course, with profuse apologies that she hadn't had time to cook a proper meal.  I ate until I almost burst.

Even with gringo-tortillas / cream from UK sources, it is still a wonderful meal.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 22:43 »
Yes, that is the kind of thing I mean Nikki.  It would need a sauce though, any ideas?
Cheese makes everything better.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 22:45 »
Sorry you don't like that idea gobs, but you weren't asking. I don't notice any suggestion from you.......
It is a different style, and the different textures of the foods are an unexpected combnation, which I believe is what Ice was asking for.

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

WG.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 22:48 »
Have you looked through this thread Ice?  http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=9641

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 22:53 »
It would need a sauce though, any ideas?

I just used a simple vegetable gravy. Roast some root vegetables first with olive oil, press through a seive, and add to a vegetable stock and thicken if needed.

Could try lightly caremelised red onion and bramley apple sauce, or even cranberry jelly?

WG.

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 22:54 »
Yes, that is the kind of thing I mean Nikki.  It would need a sauce though, any ideas?
Something with loads of smoked garlic in :wink:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 22:58 »
I'm off to bed now.  Thank you all for the suggestions and please keep them coming as I can feel a winning recipe taking shape here. :wink:

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 23:03 »
Here's another suggestion

Fiddly but tasty

Simmer 1 can chopped tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of sugar until reduced, tip into lasagne dish.
Soften 4 finely chopped leeks in butter (improves taste), mix with soft cheese (I use a tub of garlic Philadelphia)
Roll about 1 tbsp of leek mix in lasange (fresh or home made) and arrange in lasagne dish
Cover with bechamel sauce.
Arrange sliced tom and grated cheese over top.

Bake at 200C for about 20 mins

(Thats added the garlic for WG  :D )

Nikki

mashauk

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 23:07 »
I would look at the Vegetarian Society's website, they have some good recipes, OH made one of their pies for Christmas dinner once, it was beautiful and quite posh, shallot, oyster mushrooms & chestnuts in a bourgignon sauce.  Would be easy to prepare and just bake at your friend's house, or cook and warm up again.

gobs

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 09:24 »
Quote from: "Nikkithefoot"
Sorry you don't like that idea gobs, but you weren't asking. I don't notice any suggestion from you.......
It is a different style, and the different textures of the foods are an unexpected combnation, which I believe is what Ice was asking for.

Nikki

I know I did not quote, but if you look carefully, you can see, we posted at the same time, I haven't even read your recipe then yet. I thought the refried beans etc were not unusual enough for the occasion.

On the other hand, people might not agree with you, whether they asked the question or not. Someone who tried might write in tomorrow saying it was not nice at all, could happen. So chill out  a bit. :wink:  :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 09:31 »
Quote from: "gobs"
 I thought the refried beans etc were not unusual enough for the occasion.
So you were having a go at me and not at Nikki then :!:

All I can really say is: Sorry you don't like that idea gobs, but you weren't asking. I don't notice any suggestion from you.......

:wink:

gobs

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 09:34 »
Not you as well! :lol:  :lol:

WG.

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 09:44 »
And you will now know to use quotes  :roll:  :roll:

I think I'll write a Help Topic on quoting since a few folks do seem to struggle with it.   It might help avoid some of these posts which only make sense if you manage to find the post they are replying to ... 2 pages back in the thread!  :wink:

mushroom

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 09:51 »
Quote from: "WG."
Have made it several times after first being served it as "peasant's food" at my friend's parents in rural Mexico.  Everything was hand-made by his Mum, of course, with profuse apologies that she hadn't had time to cook a proper meal.  I ate until I almost burst.

Even with gringo-tortillas / cream from UK sources, it is still a wonderful meal.

YES. Refried beans have the same more-ish quality that stewed lentils has. never made them from scratch, though - i think it takes a lot of prep, and is prob. one of those things it would be good to make lots of, then freeze (well, after all re-fried is really a literal translation of "cooked again", isn't it?)

I've had the ready-made ones warmed through then served with nachos grilled with melted cheese and sprinkled with habaneros sliced into rings (and jalapino peppers as well), served with a mild AND a spicy guacamole, and loads of light beer :)

IHM have you thought of making vegetarian encheladas?

WG.

Frijoles
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 10:04 »
Frijoles (from Complete Book of Mexican Cookery by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz)

2 cups dried pinto beans (american cup is 8 fl oz)
2 onions finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
sprig of epazote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epazote (or substitute a bay leaf)
2 or more serrano chiles chopped
3 Tbsp lard (or oil for veggie)
salt
pepper
1 tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped

Boil beans (unsoaked) in water to cover with half the onion/garlic and the epazote/chiles.  Cover, bring to boil, simmer gently, adding more boiling water as necessary.  Add 1/3rd of lard when beans begin to wrinkle.  Boil until beans are soft & add salt to taste.

Cook a further 30 minutes with no added water since you want very little water left.

Heat remaining lard in a skillet & saute remaining onion/garlic until soft.  Add tomato and fry a further 2 minutes.  Scoop some bean mixture into the skillet & mash well with a fork.  Stir contents of skillet back into the pan of beans, heat through.

xx
Veggie recipe sources

Started by samjess on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post October 22, 2013, 07:40
by arugula
xx
Great store cupboard veggie recipe

Started by Ice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 15:40
by Ice
xx
Round courgette recipe needed.

Started by needssomehelp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 07:52
by joyfull
xx
hot pickled onion recipe needed

Started by philskin on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 29, 2007, 10:30
by philskin

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 29 queries.