Spectacular veggie recipe needed

• 67 Replies

WG.

Frijoles refritos
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2007, 10:06 »
Frijoles refritos

Prepare Frijoles (above)

Heat 2 Tbsp lard (oil) in a skillet.  Add frijoles, Tbsp by Tbsp, mashing over a low heat.  Add further lard (up to 6 more Tbsp) and beans until a creamy but dryish paste is formed.

WG.

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2007, 10:50 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
well, after all re-fried is really a literal translation of "cooked again", isn't it?
Actually no.  Refritos translates as well-fried and not as re-fried.  :D

mushroom

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 11:03 »
Quote from: "WG."
well, after all re-fried is really a literal translation of "cooked again", isn't it?
Actually no.  Refritos translates as well-fried and not as re-fried.  :D

I stand corrected!  :D Re-something in Spanish is used for emphasis. well, i was almost there  :oops:  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 11:07 »
And you will now know to use quotes  :roll:  :roll:

I think I'll write a Help Topic on quoting since a few folks do seem to struggle with it.   It might help avoid some of these posts which only make sense if you manage to find the post they are replying to ... 2 pages back in the thread!  :wink:

A tad touchy in the kitchen. Do not you misunderstand me, they are lovely them refried beans, just as a lot of simple peasant fare we were grown up on and I do make them often, as they are delicious. As is a potato stew, a mushroom stew, a potato and egg bake, a savoy cabbage bake, a flavoured rosti, potato dumplings with ewe's cheese, cabbage pasta, potato pasta, etc.

I just thought, rightly or wrongly that a bit more sophistication was required here.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 11:08 »
I stand corrected!  :D Re-something in Spanish is used for emphasis. well, i was almost there  :oops:  :lol:

Nowt worse than two pedantic b****rds, eh mushy?  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

mushroom

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2007, 11:21 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

mushroom

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2007, 11:27 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I just thought, rightly or wrongly that a bit more sophistication was required here.

A novel tasty dish will be spectacular (in my mind, anyway) regardless of how simple or complex it is. And complexity does not necessarily infer sophistication - a simple dish superbly done is still superb. Maybe the key, IHM, will be to establish what your friend has had, then cook something they haven't. Good luck!  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2007, 13:19 »

A novel tasty dish

Exactly.

gobs

Re: Frijoles
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2007, 13:22 »

Boil beans (unsoaked) in water to cover with half the onion/garlic and the epazote/chiles.  Cover, bring to boil, simmer gently, adding more boiling water as necessary.

Now that's new to me cooking beans without soaking or rapid boiling for a few minutes.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2007, 21:37 »
I know I did not quote, but if you look carefully, you can see, we posted at the same time, I haven't even read your recipe then yet.

Gobs
My apologies gobs for jumping down your throat. :( I'd had a difficult day at work and seeing your post was the final straw. I don't normally look at the times of posts, but will make a note to do so in future, so I don't inadvertently upset anyone  :D

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Selkie

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 21:39 »
I think it would be kind of good if you could put your post in a different colour or something so other people would know you had been having a bad day....(or bad pms in my case)

gobs

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2007, 21:41 »
Quote from: "Nikkithefoot"
I know I did not quote, but if you look carefully, you can see, we posted at the same time, I haven't even read your recipe then yet.

Gobs
My apologies gobs for jumping down your throat. :( I'd had a difficult day at work and seeing your post was the final straw. I don't normally look at the times of posts, but will make a note to do so in future, so I don't inadvertently upset anyone  :D

Nikki

You did not upset me Nikki, and all of us don't look at timings of posts, normally, it was just a bit edgy for not much reason, I should be quoting more often really. :roll:

So then I get from beardie, aghhhh. Joy! :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2007, 21:49 »
Maybe the key, IHM, will be to establish what your friend has had, then cook something they haven't. Good luck!  :wink:

That's the problem, she is a good cook and has been a veggie since forever.  She can cook nut roasts, pasta bakes and spicy stuff in her sleep (which can be a bit of a problem :wink: )

I like the idea of spicy mexican food but then for me, nothing can be too spicy or too hot.

I have an idea about doing a sauce using some exotic mushrooms, shallots and Madeira wine.  That's the gravy sorted all I need now is something to go with it.

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Be nice, children and play fair, no shouting in the kitchen. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

WG.

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2007, 22:09 »
So ... how come nobody bothers to ask if I am upset?  I cried myself to sleep over this last night.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2007, 22:15 »
So ... how come nobody bothers to ask if I am upset?  I cried myself to sleep over this last night.
Group hug everyone. :lol:

xx
Veggie recipe sources

Started by samjess on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post October 22, 2013, 07:40
by arugula
xx
Great store cupboard veggie recipe

Started by Ice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 15:40
by Ice
xx
hot pickled onion recipe needed

Started by philskin on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 29, 2007, 10:30
by philskin
xx
Round courgette recipe needed.

Started by needssomehelp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 07:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 36 queries.