Crown prince squash

• 17 Replies

Katie GT

Crown prince squash
« on: May 16, 2013, 21:03 »
I am hoping and trying and keeping everything crossed that my crown prince squash grows and does well this year. All being well, I'm not really sure what to do with them if they grow!

I found one recipe online about stuffing one with lots of yummy things and baking them all in the oven to go soft and squishy and yummy.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Or ideas of what I could stuff one with? I've never tried one before so I'm not too sure!

Thanks

Kx

compostqueen

Re: Crown prince squash
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 23:47 »
Crown Prince is a really good culinary squash and will keep for ages in a cool, dry place.  I like them for curries as the flesh keeps its shape without going mushy. Also good for roasting in chunks  :)  You can roast it and then blitz for soup.  It can be diced and added to veg rice dishes. 

Walnuts, blue cheese and honey for stuffing.  Hugh Fernly-W recipe  :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:39 »
We have grown these in the past we had 12 squash for harvest but some ended up going rotten as we didn't use them quick enough. I am not convinced we liked them as we haven't grown them again but I can't remember what we didn't like. It was several years ago.  ???

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 11:39 »
I rate these for the storage and cooking. The flesh is vivid orange and when you cut into the raw squash it smells of melon. Lovely  :)  I like them cut into fat wedges, skin on, and roasted in the oven with crushed garlic and chilli flakes and a drizzle of olive oil. You can then make that into soup or just roast along with lots of other veggies  :tongue2:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 12:06 »
I rate these for the storage and cooking. The flesh is vivid orange and when you cut into the raw squash it smells of melon. Lovely  :)  I like them cut into fat wedges, skin on, and roasted in the oven with crushed garlic and chilli flakes and a drizzle of olive oil. You can then make that into soup or just roast along with lots of other veggies  :tongue2:

I may have to try again next year now. I feel like a nice homemade squash soup. Lol I'm sold

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 18:22 »
You can grow lots of others for soup as some are mushier when cooked so lend themselves readily to mash and soup.  The ones which hold their shape are good around the meat, roasting and cubing for curry and rice dishes
I like a Sweet Mama for mashing  :)  I even make marmalade with with the a particular variety, and generally grow squashes for every culinary purpose  :)  It's always a squash fest on my plot  :)

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 18:38 »
You can grow lots of others for soup as some are mushier when cooked so lend themselves readily to mash and soup.  The ones which hold their shape are good around the meat, roasting and cubing for curry and rice dishes
I like a Sweet Mama for mashing  :)  I even make marmalade with with the a particular variety, and generally grow squashes for every culinary purpose  :)  It's always a squash fest on my plot  :)

Sweet Mama is my favourite too, very chestnutty when halved smeared with olive oil and cooked with the sunday roast!
Good drop of soup next day from the leftovers ! :)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 23:54 »
It's a well behaved squash too and will grow politely and not too rampantly amongst the sweetcorn foliage or in among the climbing beans  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 18:33 »
Crown prince is a good one for storing, but I found them a bit big and difficult to get through with just 2 of us in the house once you had started cutting into them.

Great flavour though and take spices really well.  I used to add chilli and garlic as well and roast slices as a side veg.  The leftovers make a great addition to a curry, cooked rice or couscous and of course soup  :)  If you like summer BBQs, squash slices brushed lightly with oil and grilled with whatever seasonings you prefer are lush  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 23:43 »
Once you've cut them they store well in the fridge if you seal them in a freezer bag or some such thing. I deseed them beforehand as they seem to last longer without the seeds and membranes

I grow all manner of squashes and some of the small orange varieties such as Baby Bear and Uchiki Kuri store really well  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 23:47 »
I've still got 5 Thelma Sanders squash waiting for me to eat them  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 07:44 »
I deseed them beforehand as they seem to last longer without the seeds and membranes

I've found that as well.  I do store cut squash in the fridge, but Crown Prince can get very big, so I grow smaller ones now that are a bit more easy to fit in there  :)

I've got a selection this year - Autumn Crown, a Japanese black skinned one called Black Futsu and Gem Rolet.  The gem rolet are lovely split in half and roasted with some butter, salt and pepper  :)

You must of ripened the skins on them really well  :D

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 11:34 »

Have you found that the seeds inside the squashes start to germinate if stored into May ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 11:37 »
They haven't so far - think I'd better make some soup now, just to see  ::)

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 23:51 »
I'm doing Autumn Crown this year too  :)

I love Thelma Sanders. They're a wonderful shape and their skin is like alabaster  :)  They're so prolific too, so another good one to grow

xx
Storing squash

Started by Candide on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post January 15, 2023, 22:04
by snowdrops
xx
Spaghetti Squash - Help please

Started by JulieP on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 17:49
by Swing Swang
xx
Recipes for squash?

Started by yewtreemob on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post April 05, 2006, 13:27
by Angelah
xx
Spaghetti squash

Started by catllar on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post December 16, 2009, 14:56
by catllar

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 30 queries.