French beans going out

• 24 Replies

Beetroot queen

French beans going out
« on: May 16, 2013, 13:51 »
If my French beans are starting a riot in the cold frame and threatening to walk to the plot, could I put them out but under a water pipe and debris netting tunnel, would that hold of a touch of late frost.

I am pretty sure they would be ok, but I also figured a net tunnel maybe better than none.  ::) is that a laughable suggestion.

simonwatson

Re: French beans going out
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 13:56 »
I think you've got a heavy frost forecast for tonight and possibly tomorrow night down in Somerset.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 13:59 by simonwatson »

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 14:12 »
BQ, mine were in this state so I had to bite the bullet and put them in the ground under fleece - but I am further south than you, so you might have to sacrifice them if the weather turns super-cold....
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 14:25 »
They will have to stay in then  ::) I may riot too if they don't go out soon.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 15:03 »
I wish i could put my french beans out too, also my squashes and courgettes. i keep wondering should i pot everything on. will they get stunted if i leave them in too small a module?

next year i swear i will get my sowing timings right so that they dont hang about too long in my plastic greenhouse

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 15:47 »
It's easy to get timing right if the weather does what it should - but it rarely does  ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 15:58 »
Mine will stay in for another week or 2!  Must get my peas out of the cold frame next week though.  Haven't had time with all the visitors and cleaning I've been doing this past week.  Not like me at all (Cleaning I mean! lol)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 20:06 »
I put my French beans out last weekend under a fleece tunnel cloche.

I hope they have survived this week  :ohmy: :blink: It was raining too hard after work everyday so far to go down and look.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

wighty

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 20:13 »
 My neighbours got his out but they are protected by a bubble wrap coat.  I only planted mine in the greenhouse last weekend but I have built the frame as I needed to know the spacing  that  I had to plant the mange toute and sugar snaps. I don't seem to have room to put in the courgette that I also planted last weekend, I'm sure I'll manage to squeeze it in !

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 21:59 »
I wish i could put my french beans out too, also my squashes and courgettes. i keep wondering should i pot everything on. will they get stunted if i leave them in too small a module?

Last year, I continued potting mine out and they ended up in 12in pots with flowers when I planted them out.

next year i swear i will get my sowing timings right so that they dont hang about too long in my plastic greenhouse
[/quote]

Rachel, please don't beat yourself up about stuff, you can NEVER truly get your sowing timings right - it is called the weather, and it is one of the things you deal with as a gardener. 

Just think of it as a gardener's challenge, as there is truly nought you can do about the weather, so you learn different methods to deal with it.

For what it is, I have already sown some plants which are sitting in my coldframe as backups - but, what the hell, if you get more crops out of the plants, then go for it!

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 23:01 »
I sowed some french bean seeds directly into bed a couple of weeks ago thinking it was warming up  ???
None have come up and when I dug around there is nothing there, so either they rotted or someone has eaten them!
Now I'm having to sow again in cold frame to get something in later. However I did plant out my runners today, so I really hope we don't have any frost now! Anyone else planted out their runners yet?

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 09:47 »
I sowed some french bean seeds directly into bed a couple of weeks ago thinking it was warming up  ???
None have come up and when I dug around there is nothing there, so either they rotted or someone has eaten them!
Now I'm having to sow again in cold frame to get something in later. However I did plant out my runners today, so I really hope we don't have any frost now! Anyone else planted out their runners yet?
  I am going to have to put mine in this weekend. They are just too big now. I will do it early sunday am so that nobody will see me! Would putting empty 5 litre clear plastic bottles around them help to keep from frost?

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 10:44 »
thanks for the reassurance angela :)

3rd year growing on lotty now and i am getting more relaxed, and not worrying to death about it all, lol

i will repot what needs repotting at  the weekend

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 16:26 »
I only sowed mine last weekend.

Salmo

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 17:30 »
Saw some runners today in a sheltered suburban garden that had been clobbered by frost on Wednesday night.

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans or french beans?

Started by rivkele on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 09:34
by rivkele

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 38 queries.